Posters on every tree, chalked names all over Locust Walk and an exponential increase in Facebook group invitations can mean only one thing: student government elections.

Freshmen this year are employing a wide variety of tactics — some unconventional — to get their names out and garner as many votes as possible.

A few candidates have created videos to post on their Facebook groups. College freshman Jon Youshaei, running for Class Board president, has a rap video, while College freshman M.J. Gitter, running for Class Board vice president , as well as for the Undergraduate Assembly, made a spoof of the Legally Blonde admissions video.

Many of the candidates agree that technology is one of the most useful tools for getting their platforms out to the freshman class.

“It’s very tech-oriented,” College freshman and UA candidate Andrew Jakubowski said. “Nowadays most kids are on their laptops or their iPhones or their Blackberrys, and the technology is sitting in front of them at all times.”

Freshman candidates have also had more time to get to know voters than in previous years. While last year’s freshman candidates had less than three weeks from the start of classes to get their names out before voting started, this year’s candidates have had nearly a month since the first day of classes.

Wharton freshman and UA candidate Joao Victor Mokdissi believes the extra time is a positive change.

“How can you stand up and say, ‘I want to bring change to campus or improvement,’ if you haven’t even spent a few weeks here?” Mokdissi said. “It gives us an opportunity to get to know more of the freshman class and get to know more of what campus life and academics are like at Penn.”

Wharton freshman and UA candidate J.D. Habermehl commented on the various candidates’ platforms. He noted that many candidates are focusing on a bigger picture of making a difference and improving the lives of students, rather than making lofty promises.

On the other hand, some candidates are campaigning with certain proposals in mind.

College freshman Jake Shuster, who is running for Class Board vice president of finance, wants to start a new tradition called “Boogie on Blades.” During this event, freshmen would ice skate and have a dance party in the Class of 1923 Arena.

College freshman Josh Dembowitz, running for the Class Board College chairman, wants to popularize the Econ Scream. To unwind before finals, Dembowitz proposes getting junked cars and smashing them with bats and sledgehammers.

Nominations and Elections Committee Chairwoman and College senior Rachel Levick said the NEC has made a push for candidates to increase the substance of campaigns and to make realistic promises.

At the same time, Levick also pointed out the positive aspects of thinking creatively and hopes that the freshmen-elects will put their creativity to good use.