As a result of the growing H1N1 epidemic, those governed by a higher power are changing traditions to prevent potential infection.

The Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania has issued flu season directives to the Pennsylvania “clergy and faithful” to combat the potential spread of the flu virus. The directives, which were faxed to clergies last week, will take effect this weekend, unless the local bishop determines otherwise.

“The document is very specific,” Newman Center Chaplain and Director Phil Florio said. “It’s not suggested or optional at this point. It’s mandated in the entire state of Pennsylvania by all the bishops.”

In a traditional Catholic mass, Holy Communion is offered in two forms — bread and wine. In Catholic churches, parishioners approach the altar and drink from a large communal chalice, which is wiped after each sip.

“We have stopped using the chalice and now just give out the consecrated bread,” Florio said. “The priests and the lay ministers were also encouraged to use hand sanitizer before administering the bread and afterwards, which we do here.”

Until determined otherwise by the local bishop, only the priest will receive the chalice or communal wine.

Penn’s Newman Center and St. Agatha - St. James Church, located at 38th and Chestnut streets, have already instituted the directives, in accordance with instructions from the Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania. The parish primarily comprises Penn and Drexel University students.

“All prudent precautions ought to be encouraged,” Student Health Service Director Evelyn Wiener wrote in an e-mail. “However, SHS does not advise religious communities regarding H1N1.”

And Catholic officials feel they have taken appropriate steps on their own. “We have taken all the proper precautions that one would need to in a religious setting,” Florio said. “Only the officiating priest receives from the chalice, even though the doctors who have done research for the Church would say that it is hard to transmit the germs, it’s still precautionary because so many people would be handling it.”

As an added precaution, there will be no physical contact during the exchange of the sign of peace.

According to the directive, if the priest extends the invitation for the sign of peace, those observing may bow instead of shaking hands.

However, Florio stressed that all precautions are being taken and that there have been no H1N1 cases to-date in the St. Agatha - St. James Church parish.

Although traditional practices have been temporarily changed, Catholic Penn students say these precautions are necessary.

“People can be slightly disappointed,” said Nursing senior Maria Hutchinson, president of the Newman Catholic Council and the newly-founded Penn Catholic Student Association. “But, I think there is a general understanding that these precautions need to be taken to keep everyone safe. Hopefully when flu season ends they will reinstate more affectionate signs of peace.”