10222009_bigbrothersbigsisters171
Big Brothers Big Sisters Study Break in DuBois College House Bigs and their friends make scarves to give to their Littles and for donation to schools with which Big Brothers Big Sisters works. Credit: Shrestha Singh

Penn students took a break from studying last night to enrich the lives of West Philadelphia children — with warm winter scarves and a better education.

Big Brothers Big Sisters at Penn held their second annual fall study break last night in DuBois College House. The program, which began last fall, invites Bigs and their friends for food and socializing to promote awareness.

DuBois’ multi-purpose room was set up last night with icing and candy to decorate cookies, chocolate fondue, Einstein’s bagels, T-shirts and the main activity of the night: make-your-own scarves.

Two tables were covered with squares of fleece ordered online in patterns depicting everything from soccer balls to Hannah Montana. People who came by were welcome to cut out scarves for Littles, who, according to board member and Nursing junior Alexandra Smith, have coats but no scarves this winter. The activity proved easy and fun and will provide over 100 children with scarves.

“It’s a simple and meaningful way to get involved in the Philadelphia community and it’s more personal than other community outreach programs,” said Isabel Friedman a freshman in the College and prospective BBBS member.

Along with free food, the program raffled off donated giftcards as prizes from Chipotle, Saxby’s, Marathon Grill and many more to the attendees.

College senior and BBBS President Eileen McKeown said she was pleased that this year the program has 300 students involved, perpetuating Penn’s standing as the largest BBBS program in the country on a college campus.

The new recruits will be paired up with children from eight schools in Philadelphia, while returning members will continue their relationships with their original Littles.

According to McKeown, “community building and an increase in interest are our two biggest goals.”

Alexandra Surdel, a sophomore in the College, said she is involved in the program because she matriculated a Philadelphia high school and has seen the quality of education some of these kids are getting.

“I wanted to be a positive influence and show my Little the importance of education,” she said.

BBBS is also planning a picnic in the spring for Littles and their Bigs, to be held at the Newman Center.