For some at Penn, religion and community service are harmonious.

CHORDS - an initiative to support faith- and community-based groups in Philadelphia - is being revamped in a project led by University Associate Chaplain and CHORDS director Stephen Kocher.

Led by the Office of the Chaplain and organized in collaboration with PRISM, as well as a number of other campus organizations, the program works to build joint relationships between University and community leaders.

"CHORDS symbolizes working together in harmony and gathering lots of different kinds of groups that are necessary to make a lasting change in the neighborhood," Kocher said.

Through a selective application process, CHORDS has chosen four work-study students to coordinate different outreach programs at the various organizations involved in the program.

"We needed community-minded people interested in maximizing their skills and what they are learning here at Penn to serve the community specifically," Kocher said.

One of these students, Nursing junior Aileen Connell, will work with First Presbyterian Church to create a health-based outreach program.

CHORDS demonstrates "that interfaith and religious activity does not end on campus, but it's about doing things and doing things together," College senior and PRISM co-chairman Sam Adelsberg said. "CHORDS provides an amazing opportunity to put those ideas into action."

University Chaplain Chaz Howard, who began working on the program when it was under its former name, Program in Universities, Communities of Faith, Schools and Neighborhood Organizations, praised Kocher for his work thus far.

"What Steve really brings is a new vision, a high energy, strong organizational skills," Howard said. "He has a wonderful skill set and can take it to the next level, to expand its reach and to really bring a new season, which is symbolized by the new name CHORDS."

Howard also emphasized the importance of reaching out to the surrounding community.

"Our university is so amazing and dynamic itself that it is possible to spend four years here without ever needing to leave campus," Howard said. "Yet I think one's experience is enhanced and strengthened when you can get off of Penn's campus and make real connections with our neighbors in West Philly, the city and the greater Philadelphia area."

As for the future of the program, Kocher said, "The sky is really the limit," assuring that the program will continue to build its network each year.

"Where we are right now, there's more student connection than there has ever been with the CHORDS program, which is exciting," he said. "With the diversity of opinions and project ideas, we are really excited about what can happen this year."