Some of Penn's newest students are among the greenest, thanks to PennGreen.

Today marks the end of the first run for PennGreen, an environmentally focused pre-Orientation program. For 36 freshmen and 14 upperclassmen program leaders, the program served as an introduction to environmentalism in Philadelphia and at Penn.

During the program, students experienced environmentally friendly local restaurants, such as RX, which is located at 45th and Spruce streets and features local ingredients and organic foods. Participants also visited a number of farms, including Chester County's Charlestown Organic Farm, to learn about suburban organic farming and the environmental impact of similar locales.

The program focused on campus recycling and environmentally efficient building projects, in an effort to give participants a better grasp of the sustainable food and living movement, according to its Web site.

PennGreen was sponsored by the Office of the Provost, the Undergraduate Assembly, Facilities and Real Estate Services, the Trustees' Council of Penn Women and the Earth and Environmental Science Department.

According to PennGreen faculty advisor and Fox Leadership associate director Chuck Brutsche, the program unified freshmen and upperclassmen.

"From the very first night, [the students] clicked," he said. "The first night at our opening barbecue folks were running around and laughing and sharing ideas."

However, the real cogs behind the machine that is PennGreen are co-coordinators College senior Bob Goldman and Wharton senior Laura Boudreau, a former Penn Environmental Group chairwoman.

At the end of their sophomore year, Goldman and Boudreau developed the concept of an environmentally focused pre-Orientation program and applied for funding and assistance with the UA.

Since 2008, Goldman and Boudreau have worked hard to make their dream a reality and have brought together a diverse group of people to lead the incoming freshmen.

"We have people who aren't in [PEG, and] who aren't environmental studies majors," Goldman said. "We have people involved in Greek life, we have people who are on varsity sports teams. We all share a common interest in the environment, but I think we all come from a pretty wide background within the University."

Students have been thrilled with the program so far, according to PennGreen participant and College freshmen Isabel Parkinson.

"The leaders have been really welcoming and really warm," she said. "There has been a really strong energy ,and the whole group has a good feel. It's a nice introduction to Penn and a nice segue into school."