College senior Kenneth Nwannunu died Wednesday while abroad. He was a Philosophy, Politics and Economics major studying in Shanghai for the semester.

University officials said they learned of Nwannunu's death around 12:30 a.m. yesterday morning. They have not received any news about an autopsy or cause of death, primarily because of the communication challenges - the 12-hour time difference with Shanghai and the language barrier.

Penn has been in touch with Nwannunu's family as well as the Counsel on International Educational Exchange.

An informational meeting for Nwannunu's friends yesterday afternoon was run in Houston Hall's Bodek Lounge by Sharon Smith, the director of intervention services, Pat Brennan, director of special services at the Division of Public Safety and Bill Alexander, director of Counseling and Psychological Services.

They shared the few details they knew about the situation, including that the university in Shanghai is "highly reputable" and has an "SOS program for on-site counseling," according to Smith.

Alexander emphasized that students "be careful" and "keep an eye on friends" during this time of grieving. He said students can always call CAPS at (215) 898-7021 or the Office of the Chaplain at (215) 898-8456 for support.

A similar meeting will be held tomorrow afternoon in the Hall of Flags from noon to 2 p.m.

Nwannunu was a brother in the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. According to students, he was also involved in parliamentary debate and played on the football team his freshman year.