Due to recent economic constraints, Big Brothers Big Sisters Southeastern Pennsylvania is scaling back its partnership with Penn.

Only 300 children can be matched with Penn “bigs” this year — compared with the 450 who were initially projected to be matched, according to Charles Wright, BBBS vice president of development for the region. While this change is only temporary, many Penn students and Philadelphia children will not be able to participate in the program this year as a result.

Each match costs BBBS SEPA about $1,200, explained Wright. A professional staff must carry out background checks on “bigs,” provide transportation for participants, monitor match progress and recruit new members. Donors provide all the necessary funding.

For economic reasons, the program, which serves children in 40 schools in the greater Philadelphia region, is reducing the number of matches by 3 percent across four counties, according to BBBS SEPA Chief Program Officer Judith Spangler.

Despite this, Director of Penn’s BBBS and College senior Eileen McKeown remains optimistic.

“While I am deeply saddened that we cannot serve as many children as we did last year, I am happy that Penn still has 300 Big Brothers and Big Sisters,” she wrote in an e-mail.

She explained that Penn’s BBBS chapter is the largest university chapter in the United States — even after scaling back.

“I am continually inspired by the dedication of Penn students to the program,” she continued. “I know that we could easily have 800 ‘bigs’ if only BBBS of Southeastern Pennsylvania could raise the funds to support them.”

The cutback means that fewer new matches will be made, according to Spangler, but no currently enrolled “littles” will be asked to leave the program.

The reduced number of Penn “bigs” will be matched based on the specific personalities and needs of individual children.

“This is a strong and important partnership [between BBBS SEPA and Penn], and we are committed to growing the program again when the economic climate improves,” Spangler wrote in an e-mail.

Wright and McKeown both emphasized that the cutback is only temporary.

According to Wright, BBBS SEPA is “as disappointed as Penn students are” about the cutback, but that economic uncertainty is “rocking the non-profit world.”