Beginning June 1, Research scientist Loa Traxler will step into the position of the Andrew W. Mellon associate deputy director of the Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, announced last week. When she takes on her new position, she will end her work as a research specialist in the American Section.

The newly created position will "serve as a liaison between the Penn Museum and the schools, academic departments and centers of the University," Traxler wrote in an e-mail. "[It] was created to help more fully integrate the museum and its resources . with other facets of the University."

The new position was developed in summer and fall 2008, Traxler explained, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the museum and University officials agreed it could hold a great deal of potential for the museum's relations.

"We want to make sure that all students and departments feel that the museum is an appropriate and good place to be associated with in some form or another," museum director Richard Hodges said, adding that there would be more efforts to reach out to students in a variety of academic fields, such as in the School of Medicine and Wharton.

In light of the dismissals - announced last November and taking effect May 31 - of 18 research specialists from the museum's curatorial departments and the Museum Applied Science Center for Archaeology, Traxler's appointment could be seen as a shift to a "for-profit" sector of the museum, especially since Traxler was among those dismissed.

However, both Traxler and Hodges assured that Traxler's new appointment was entirely separate from this issue, and Hodges said the position was in no way created to generate more revenue.

"The ADD position was defined in the fall of 2008 before the decision was announced to discontinue all the research specialist positions at the Penn Museum," Traxler wrote. "In fact, I had applied for the ADD position (advertised through a national search) before I learned that my position as a research scientist was going to end in May."

Hodges emphasized that a number of "highly qualified people" applied, and Traxler was chosen after a long search.

"She was the most suitable candidate," Hodges said. "She's been associated with this university for a long time," and has experience in both gallery and international work, he added.

MASCA researcher Naomi Miller wrote in an e-mail that she does not believe that there is any sort of "hidden agenda" behind the appointment. "I think the official reason for [the] Deputy Director position being funded is also the actual reason," she wrote.

As for the rest of the researchers, Hodges declined to comment on their potential positions before June 1.

"Many of my research colleagues will continue in redefined positions at the museum and be able to continue to advance the mission of the institution," Traxler wrote.

As for herself, Traxler said she is enthusiastic about her new position and "[looks] forward to helping strengthen its educational and research mission."

Related StoriesMuseum researchers speak out against firings - NewsFinancial crisis forces firing of 18 Penn Museum researchers - News