zvwjx3ga
UA holds internal elections Credit: Lionel Nicolau

The Undergraduate Assembly took the meaning of a nine-to-five job seriously last night.

From 9 p.m. Wednesday night to 5 a.m. Thursday morning, the group held its executive board elections - but ultimately selected only two of the five positions. College sophomore Alec Webley was elected UA chairman, while College junior Lucia Liu was selected for executive vice chairwoman.

The voting process for chairman lasted almost six hours, as the group voted to extend time allotted for questions and answers on three separate occasions in order to allow members of external groups to pose questions to the candidates.

The voting UA members then engaged in a closed discussion and voting process until the new chairman captured the necessary 13 votes to win. Nominations and Elections Committee chairwoman and College junior Brittany Stark, who ran the election, announced that Webley won UA chairman just before 2 a.m.

Around midnight, those assembled for the elections moved to Harrison College House to continue the proceedings after losing access to Huntsman Hall.

Once elected chairman, Webley ran the proceedings to elect the executive vice chair. Despite Webley's candidacy claim to "reduce UA meetings by 50 percent," UA members saw a similar-length discussion and voting process. Liu was announced executive vice chairwoman just before 5 a.m., winning 16 to five, with two abstentions.

After the election, Webley commented that the length of deliberations ultimately contributed to a greater consensus among UA members when it came to voting.

"I stand tall for the 3 a.m. election," he said. "While our election process takes a very long time, the results are a body that is extremely well informed before it votes."

Groups waiting for the election of the new vice chairman for external affairs expressed frustration with the process, both in its length and uncertainty.

Wharton sophomore and Latino Coalition vice chairwoman Wendy de la Rosa stayed through the process to ensure her group was represented in the election of the position that works with other groups the most.

"We stuck it out so long," de la Rosa said. "But it's only fair that you make the meeting where everyone can make it."

After some considerations, the UA voted to postpone the remaining three elections - those of vice chairman for external affairs, secretary and treasurer - until Sunday at 8 p.m., realizing that many external groups were not present to voice their questions and concerns.

Related StoriesAlec Webley voted new Undergraduate Assembly chairman - NewsZac Byer, Alec Webley face off for UA chair - News