1j0cem6d
Security officers are stepping up their searches to prevent alcohol from entering the Quad during Fling.

*This article appeared in the 2009 joke issue.

In an effort to stem the flow of alcohol into the Quadrangle in the weeks leading up to Spring Fling, Quad security guards have stepped up the depth of their searches of students' belongings.

Slated to go into effect today, the new policy - which allows random strip searches of students who are suspected of carrying alcohol on their person - is meeting intense criticism from various groups on campus. Their objections range from privacy issues to fears that female Quad residents will be targeted.

One of the House Deans for the Quad College Houses said the strip-search policy was prompted by a recent incident in which a security guard performing a bag check noticed several flasks of vodka taped to a Quad resident's chest.

Though the incident provided the impetus for the policy, the House Dean said the strip-searches were "a long time coming."

"Somehow, alcohol manages to make its way into the Quad every spring," he said, adding that the "diligent" bag inspection process only covered one potential avenue of entry.

"Random strip-searches will help us cover more of our bases," he added.

Many oppose the policy, saying the added security is not reason enough for the invasion of privacy.

A director of the Penn Women's Center called the policy "atrocious."

She said the policy might be abused by guards. "It's up to the whims of the guards [to choose] who gets searched," she said. "That is simply unacceptable."

She added that no policy has been put in place to ensure that female residents can request female guards.

"I'm terrified," said College freshman and Riepe resident Julia Phelps.

Though she said she would feel more comfortable being searched by a female guard, she thinks the policy "still seems absurd."

However, College freshman and Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Harrison Garfinkle said he wasn't too disappointed with the news. "It'll be the most action I've gotten in months," he said.

The searches have already begun affecting students' lives.

"Today, a security guard overheard me telling my friend I had stuffed flasks in my boxers," said a College freshman and Quad resident who wished to remain anonymous, adding, "FML."

Professor George Weinstien, who teaches Constitutional Law said the random searches presented many issues as well, including "a basic violation of privacy rights."

"Even if the searches were truly random," he said, "there exists absolutely no legal precedent for strip-searching residents."

The Women's Center Director said PWC is planning a protest, which will occur tomorrow night outside the Upper Quad gate.

But College House and Academic Services said safety concerns overrides students' privacy. "While we realize that strip-searches are an extreme measure, student safety is a top priority, and one for which we will not compromise," she said.

Sophomore Alice Johnson, who does not live in the Quad, said opponents of the policy are overreacting.

"Airports strip search," she said. "Why not the Quad?"