Strolling down Chestnut Street, College freshman Joanna Karaman is bombarded with a collage of colors emanating from the Hub building.

After coming from class in College Hall, a more traditional 19th-century structure, Karaman said passing the Hub is like being "warped into a different era."

And the addition of the new Hub, slated to be completed in fall 2010, will only add to Karaman's experience.

Regardless of opinions on its aesthetic appearance, the post-modern architecture breathes new life into the area by introducing a fresh atmosphere, plus retail and entertainment options.

According to Teres Holdings Chief Operating Officer Bob Hoe, as soon as the company finishes arranging finance, it can commence demolition on 3939 Chestnut Street for the new Hub building with a similar post-modern decor.

The barrage of hues of maroon, mustard and forest green starkly contrast the campus buildings, generating a hodgepodge of opinions - from an eyesore to a vibrant building.

"Just because it looks different doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing," College senior Charles Harris said.

According to Harris, the Hub does not need to blend with the other buildings on campus because it's located further north.

As an architecture major, he added that he appreciates the fact that Teres Holdings is "pushing the envelope" in the Hub's design.

Karaman, who also plans to major in architecture, demonstrates a more conservative thought.

"It's more confusing than interesting," she said.

College freshman Kalina Eneva agrees, saying that the building is jarring juxtaposed to its surroundings.

"I feel like the designer took some acid, sat down and drew random spots of color on the blueprint," she added.

The Hub building certainly doesn't emulate the collegiate Gothic chic of the Quadrangle.

But Hoe said he intentionally wanted to avoid trying to mimic the "old elegant architecture with modern materials" because he knew it would not work.

"There are many places in the world where old and new sit by side and energize each other," he added.

Harris said the new post-modern buildings, such as the Radian and the Hub, introduce a "new language" to the architecture on campus.

It also brings in new retail and life as it bridges the cross-interests of the University and the neighborhood, Hoe said.

Thus far, the Hub houses Distrito, a popular Mexican venue among Penn students.

Plus, Dhyana Yoga is slated to open on the 2nd floor of the Hub this May, according to its Web site.

The new Hub will also house two floors of retail.

"We are creating a building that will draw attention," Hoe said. "It's unique and exciting."

Related StoriesConstruction on Hub 3939 will begin this spring - NewsThird Hub complex planned for 39th, Chestnut - NewsOn 40th Street, a new Hub for retail, housing - News