On Nov. 4, 2008, 96.4 percent of Penn students made it to the polls in what is now remembered as a truly historic election. That night, students flocked the campus en masse in celebration of President Barack Obama's victory. In those months leading up to Election Day 2008, I recall walking down Locust Walk and seeing the vibrant and energized student body here at Penn. On our campus, there was an unprecedented amount of political engagement, something I hadn't ever seen in my years here.

Upon observing the passion on campus this past fall, I am convinced that it is possible to mobilize Penn's student body. Yet, when it comes to our semi-annual undergraduate Penn student government elections, we fall upsettingly short. One year ago, a wimpy 44 percent of students logged onto Penn InTouch to vote for their Undergraduate Assembly and Class Board candidates. Despite receiving constant e-mails and getting many invitations on Facebook, less than half of the undergraduate student population made the simple decision to support student activism on campus.

Now, I know what you're thinking: Penn student government is in no way comparable in importance to the U.S. government. However as an avid member of PSG, I beg to differ. Upon stepping foot on campus freshman year, Penn becomes our home for the next four years. On a micro level, this Penn bubble we live in is very much governed by the choices made by the faculty and administration of our campus. Thus, the day-to-day choices, activities and policies affect our academics, social lives and freedoms right here at Penn. In the past, PSG has tackled issues that directly influence the undergraduate student body. This past month alone for example, the UA approved proposals to strengthen gender and ethnic minority support, Class Boards wrapped up Feb Club and brought Sophomore Skimmer, and Social Planning and Events Committee (SPEC) unveiled Akon and Guster for a much-anticipated Spring Fling.

In essence, Penn student government tackles a breadth of undergraduate needs, whether we may have realized it or not. Moreover, looking into the future, voting now could not be more necessary. With the bleak economy affecting all of us, PSG plays an integral role in dialogue with administrators regarding budget allocations for student groups and financial aid. Furthermore, social responsibility and sustainability has become a big issue on the administration's agenda, largely through the involvement of PSG and student leaders. As the University continues PennConnects, its eastward expansion plans, now is a vital time to address these concerns regarding eco-friendly facilities and student spaces.

Looking back on my first few days on campus my freshman year, I still recall my apprehensions of living in a stifled room in Hill, the excitement of attending my first college lecture, and the shock of seeing the limitless number of activities fliering Locust Walk. These are the memories I still carry with me as I end my junior year here at Penn, three years older. As I look back now, these are also the same reasons why I have been an active member of Penn student government, and why I care so deeply about the people in these elected positions. In essence, the people we vote for in Class Boards and UA elections this week are the ones that decide on these little pieces of our Penn experience and sculpt our unforgettable memories as we walk through Penn at graduation.

A friend of mine, chairwoman of the NEC Brittany Stark, put it best. She said, "If you have a problem with Penn, there's no reason why you shouldn't be voting." I echo her wise words, and I challenge you further: If Penn has given you something great to remember, there is no reason why you shouldn't be voting to keep these traditions for the future. Consider this: A mere three years ago the current senior class president, the esteemed Brett Perlmutter, won 2009 Class Board president with a mere 19-vote margin. Since then, the Senior Class Board under Perlmutter's leadership has worked to protect and improve Hey Day, revamp Feb Club to include a wider array of events, and promote further class unity on campus.

These 19 votes are exactly the reason why we on the NEC, the PSG branch responsible for the UA and Class Boards elections, want you to log into Penn InTouch and cast your vote now. Your vote goes a long way, counts more than you think and will affect and sculpt your memories at Penn for many years to come.

Patricia Liu is a Wharton junior and the vice-chairman for education for the Nominations and Elections Committee.