20n096o1
Rodin College House Exterior Credit: Lionel Nicolau

Future changes in Rodin College House's demographics will be less about excluding freshmen and more about giving sophomores what they want.

College Houses and Academic Services director Leslie Delauter explained that Rodin was chosen as the college house to pilot the changes not due to any issues involving freshmen, but rather due a need to accommodate the growing sophomore demand in high-rise living.

"Rodin was chosen because it basically leads the efforts among the college houses in addressing the academic and developmental needs of sophomores," she said.

She also noted that this year's "unofficial" Sophomore Experience Program in Rodin has served as an example for future sophomore programs, as well as of the community the building hopes to foster.

While Rodin currently houses several residential programs, residents said the college house continues to foster insular living situations.

"There's not that much of a sense of community," said Wharton sophomore and Rodin resident Mike Jarrell. "You just live with the people in your apartment - it's not like in the Quad where you know your whole hall."

College Sophomore Kaitlyn Berger, also living in Rodin, expressed similar sentiments.

"I know community is not as emphasized in the high rises," she said, comparing it to her experience with a community-living Hall in the Quadrangle.

"I don't even know all of the people on my hall," she said.

Delauter described the decision to expand offerings for sophomores in Rodin as "serendipitous," noting that CHAS had already started planning sophomore outreach across all of the college houses.

Even before recent policy changes, Rodin House Dean Ken Grcich was involved in researching sophomores' needs - academically, socially and developmentally - to better serve the class, Delauter said.

She stressed that Grcich already has great things planned for the next Rodin sophomore community, ranging from social events such as a possible chartered cruise on the Delaware River to a student-written handbook on topics central to sophomore needs.

Delauter expects such events to continue to strengthen the demand for sophomores to stay on campus and the involvement and leadership roles of Rodin's sophomore residents.

Some students, however, are wary of such a homogenized community that might develop as a result of the upcoming demographic changes.

"I live on a floor with freshmen, sophomores [and] juniors - I kind of like living with all different years," Wharton sophomore Karanja Muigai said.