Penn Law professor Wendell Pritchett was named chancellor of Rutgers University-Camden Campus and will assume his post on June 30, Rutgers announced yesterday.

Pritchett has taught at Penn Law since 2001. After serving as associate dean at Penn Law from 2006 to 2008, he will begin similar administrative and developmental responsibilities at Rutgers.

His duties, as entailed in the release, will include the "daily administration of an institution that enrolls 5,600 students in 34 undergraduate programs and 16 graduate programs at the master's and Ph.D. levels" and "collaborate with organizations to promote the revitalization of Camden and advance the economic, social and cultural development of southern New Jersey and the Delaware Valley."

Law School Dean Michael Fitts sent an e-mail yesterday to faculty, students and staff about Pritchett's appointment, congratulating him in "this next step of his already successful career."

"Rutgers-Camden has chosen a tremendous leader and first-rate educator whose work and life have centered around urban affairs," Fitts wrote. "His contributions to Penn Law have been innumerable and invaluable."

Pritchett, an urban history and policy scholar, received his B.A. from Brown University in 1986, his J.D. from Yale Law School in 1991, and his Ph.D. in history from Penn in 1997.

Among his many achievements, he is the author of two books, founding member of the Penn Institute for Urban Research and was former deputy chief of staff and director of policy for Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter in 2008.

Fitts wrote, "Wendell will be missed but never forgotten."