Robert A. Fox Professor of Leadership Donald Kettl, a Political Science professor, was appointed dean of the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy, the school announced Tuesday.

Kettl will officially step into the position in June, although he admitted he might act as "virtual dean" via e-mail until he can officially become settled in College Park, Md.

In his new position, Kettl said he will "shape and direct the curriculum and the content" at the School of Public Policy, as well as both oversee and develop new initiatives in "everything from climate change to health policy."

Frederic Fox Leadership professor John DiIulio, who also teaches political science and has known Kettl for 20 years, said he is saddened, though unsurprised by the news.

"University of Maryland-College Park has one of the great public policy schools in the country." he said.

Kettl called his new position "a great opportunity" but the decision to accept it "all in all a very tough call."

"We are of course very sad about Don Kettl's departure from Penn," School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rebecca Bushnell wrote in an e-mail. "He was a visionary leader of the Fels Institute, and he is both a distinguished scholar of public administration and an innovative teacher."

Maryland President C.D. Mote said in a statement that Kettl "brings a dynamism and vision that will help lift the School of Public Policy to an even higher level of excellence and prominence."

But at Penn, DiIulio said, "we will all miss him much."

Related StoriesFels gets new executive director - NewsFels Institute director ends six-year tenure - News