Deja vu.

The members of the Penn softball team had seen it all too recently as the second game of their doubleheader against Monmouth ended Saturday.

After a 1-0 loss in the first game, the Quakers fell to the Hawks by the same score - and in almost the same exact fashion - in the nightcap.

Hawks' sophomore Emily deLong's two triples - one in each contest - were the deciding factors in each game.

Sophomore Tory Satagaj pitched the opener for the Red and Blue (4-13), allowing only six hits. Senior Emily Denstedt pitched the entire second game, allowing no walks and only three hits.

"Both of our pitchers pitched really well," sophomore Bridget McDugall said.

The Quakers had opportunities to take the lead in the first inning of the opener, but could not capitalize on them.

After both freshman Jamie Boccanfuso and sophomore Taylor Tieman singled up the middle in the first inning, the Red and Blue could not bring them home.

The game remained scoreless until the third inning, when deLong's three-bagger put the Hawks (10-3) on the scoreboard.

The Quakers were given another chance to break ahead in the fifth inning, when freshman Cailyn Hennessy singled to center. One out later, sophomore catcher Alisha Prystowsky was hit by a pitch. Hawks' pitcher Kristine Sawlsville then got out of the jam, striking out McDugall swinging.

In the nightcap, no batter made it on base until the fourth inning, when Boccanfuso managed to beat out an infield hit. Yet again, this hit proved unfruitful for the Red and Blue.

Like in the opener, the Quakers were given opportunities to finally take the lead in the fifth inning. A sacrifice bunt from freshman Sarah Patrick put runners on second and third for the Quakers, but a foul out and strikeout ended the threat as quickly as it started.

The Hawks' winning run came in the last inning, when deLong hit her second triple of the day. With two outs, junior Jessica Nicola doubled, sending deLong home for the win.

Although the Quakers ended the day with two close losses - and offensive struggles - things may be looking up for Penn's pitching and defense.

"We did a lot better defensively compared to our previous games," McDugall said. "We have come very far both pitching-wise and defensively."

Now, the task for the Quakers is to offensively catch up with their strong pitching and defense.

"We are going to work really hard this week offensively so next game we have all three components working for us," McDugall said.

Related StoriesSoftball doomed by crooked numbers - Sports