4i72n5a6
Employees work inside the new coffee shop on 40th and Ludlow streets, Lovers and Madmen. The shop opened last Saturday, and according to manager Megan Powers, gets its name from Shakespeare's comedy A Midsummer Night's Dream.

New coffee shop Lovers and Madmen seeks to mirror its philosophy in its name: to provide a venue that caters to passionate people.

Manager Megan Powers said she chose the coffee shop's name to "convey the same passion and intensity" from the scene in Shakespeare's play, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Lovers and Madmen, tucked between 40th and Ludlow streets, opened last Saturday.

Powers said she wants her unique store to eventually become a location that lends itself to the artistic community.

Lovers and Madmen, she said, is "less in-and-out than Starbucks."

College freshman Joanna Karaman said she appreciated the uniqueness of the coffee shop.

"When I was walking in I felt like I was entering a little artsy realm," she said.

The shop is furnished with wooden décor and two plush blue couches.

The walls were left deliberately bare in order for local artists to display their pieces, including photographs and paintings, Powers said.

Artists will also be able to show slides on the flat-screen television in the shop.

Powers plans to make the coffee shop "somewhere you want to be" by hosting events that explore different artistic expressions, such as open mike nights and poetry slams.

The shop stresses the ideals of sustainability in its food and design, Powers said.

Lovers and Madmen serves counter-current coffee - organically grown beans in a shaded field - making it unique from other coffee shops in the area.

Also, instead of using paper plates and cups, the shop uses glassware, Powers said, to "personalize the experience."

She added that so far, Lovers and Madmen is enjoying a successful run as everyday business is increasing.

"We are even seeing some repeats," she said.

Karaman said she looks forward to going back as her experience was a pleasurable one - from the friendly service she received to the chocolate croissant she ordered.

"I'm from Philadelphia, and this shop is truly exquisite," she said. "I might just have to move in."