When College freshman Marissa Finn was deciding where she wanted to live next year, she said price was a huge factor in her decision.

"Because of the state of the economy, I had to consider whether or not the Radian was affordable," she said.

Finn is not alone - for many, the economic crisis has complicated decisions about where to live, forcing students to choose their future housing based on price tag rather than personal preference.

All freshmen are required to live on campus for their first school year. After that, students are given an array of choices at different prices.

Because of these new concerns, a divide forms in college housing locations, deterring those without sufficient means away from more luxurious off-campus apartments.

"There is a tremendous amount of residential segregation on the basis of income," said Elaine Simon, co-director of the Urban Studies Program.

According to Simon, this trend is growing at college campuses across the country.

Simon added that the recent developments of the Radian and the Hub buildings has created more "tiers" that separate students.

The Domus apartment building on Chestnut Street stands at the top of the hierarchy, with prices ranging from $2,200 to $4,000 per month.

Developers seize the opportunity to make a profit off of a hybrid building that serves urban redevelopment as well as student housing, according to Simon.

Because of this, options like the Radian and the Hub buildings continue to be developed.

Yet, since the "cost of construction has a strong impact on bed rate," prices remain high, said Ed Datz, the executive director of Real Estate.

Wharton freshman Luba Smolensky said she noticed that kids who are "more well-off" live at the Radian.

Toward the base, however, are off-campus apartments on the west cusp of campus.

The average cost for a studio apartment in University City and West Philadelphia last year was $450 to $1,325 per month, according to the Office of Off-Campus Living.

Although the economy is a legitimate concern, Datz said its impact has not yet affected student housing overall.

He said he sees the wide spectrum of housing options as beneficial to Penn students in that they provide "diverse housing options."

But at the same time, this makes for a less egalitarian housing culture, which was once a central idea in college dorms, Simon said.

"College housing has turned in a microcosm, mimicking the residential segregation in society," she added.