For Leandra Kern, a staff member at the School of Engineering and Applied Science, Valentine's Day last year meant a ski trip to Vermont with her boyfriend. But the state of the economy this year has forced them to take their celebration down a notch.

"We are doing dinner and a few presents this year, nothing big," said Kern.

In an economic crisis, some Penn couples are scaling back their plans and striving to spend more moderately on Valentine's Day.

Michael Lee, a graduate student at the Engineering School, and his girlfriend have been enjoying a night on the town, dinner in an upscale restaurants, a movie and presents for the last few years. This year, though, they are forgoing presents for a nice dinner and movie.

Some students are also picking up extra shifts on Valentine's Day because they need the cash.

"If we had money, we would have taken off work and celebrated," said a graduate student who wished to remain anonymous.

Students aren't the only ones affected by the economy. Popular Philadelphia restaurants like Tangerine and Positano Coast admit that they're predicting less business this Valentine's Day.

"Business has been slower, and we hope our special plans will attract more customers," said Robert Sondey, an employee at Tangerine.

Another restaurant, Fork, has decreased prices from last year, owner Ellen Yin said, citing the economy as the main reason. It will now offer a fixed price dinner for $120 per couple, up from $150 last year.

Positano Coast is also offering a limited menu for Valentine's Day. But the fact that Valentine's Day this year falls on a Saturday is a boon to business.

"Though the economy has affected business to some degree, we are busier on Valentine's Day than last year mainly because this year it is on a Saturday and not a Thursday like last year," said Enrico Castro, a Positano Coast employee.

Still, there are some students who feel Valentine's Day is worth splurging on.

Liu Chi, a graduate student in Chemistry, is sending flowers and chocolates to his girlfriend in China.

"The economy has made the dollar fall in exchange rate as compared to the RMB [the Chinese currency], so I am spending more dollars than I normally would," said Chi.

Employees at restaurants Moshulu on the waterfront, Penne on campus and La Viola in Center City said they are not making changes to attract customers.

"We are still pretty busy and our prices have not changed," said Amy Keller, who works at Moshulu. "In fact, we have more reservations than last year."

Penne, the Italian restaurant on campus, is offering a special Valentine's Day menu at $70 for a couple.

"We offer a slow paced, intimate setting with candles and roses for the couples," said Enzo Pignoli, the restaurant's manager.

Joseph D'Emilio, a staff member at SEAS, is also celebrating an elaborate Valentine's Day. He and his girlfriend are going out for dinner and exchanging presents as they do every year.

"I even got my girlfriend's dog a present," said D'Emilio.