The Undergraduate Assembly is teaming up with the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships to make research more appealing and accessible to students.

The UA's recent undergraduate research proposal, which set up that partnernship, is the latest step in efforts by student groups working with CURF to publicize its offerings and encourage extracurricular research.

Three UA members, Nursing and Wharton sophomore G.J. Melendez-Torres, Engineering senior Jordan Mendel and College sophomore Matt Amalfitano, wrote the proposal, which was "well-received," UA chairman and College and Wharton senior Wilson Tong said.

"The idea first came up because Jordan and I both had very rewarding and very substantial [research] experiences because of CURF," Melendez-Torres said. He studied health policy but said he was "blown away by the different opportunities collected for undergraduates."

Wallace Genser, CURF's new associate director for undergraduate research, called the union "fortuitous," since it will also increase collaboration with the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education, which last year published a proposal to strengthen undergraduate research.

The problem is that "people don't know what [CURF] is, or where it is," SCUE chairwoman Alexandra Berger said. To change that, SCUE helped organize two open houses in which a panel of student researchers from CURF answered questions.

Efforts for publicity have also been made through preceptorial classes and outreach programs in the college houses, Genser said.

The UA's proposal states that "while SCUE's work with CURF has been extensive," SCUE is more broad-based and committed to the "resources and reorganization" of CURF, while the UA is more committed to publicity and equal access.

CURF was originally created nine years ago to house various fellowships such as the Rhodes and the Fulbright, explained Harriet Joseph, director of CURF. It also became a venue for undergraduate research, in addition to the Benjamin Franklin Scholars and the University Scholars programs under former University President Judith Rodin.

Challenges to engaging undergraduates in research include a lack of funding.

"I always joke that maybe one of our Rhodes winners can make a fortune and give back to CURF," Joseph said.

However, Joseph said, the greatest resource for students has only just been renovated: the CURF Web site. She was particularly excited about this development, calling it "absolutely fabulous." The Web site is more user-friendly, being "up-to-date" and "easy to update," she said.

The fruits of such actions are starting to appear - Genser currently receives about 10 students per week for research consultation.

Joseph said everyone involved hopes for more progress and interest in undergraduate research, especially among freshmen, to whom she hopes to teach "how to knock on the doors of faculty."

Related StoriesNews Brief | UA discusses bike safety, undergraduate research and Ramadan - NewsNew SCUE chair outlines plans for the year - News