View Larger Map

Tonight is the first of Mayor Michael Nutter's budget workshops, run in collaboration with Penn Project for Civic Engagement to help get public input on budget decisions.

All Philadelphia residents are invited to attend.

Nutter announced the Workshops Jan. 15.

He said Philadelphia faces a $1 billion deficit as a result of "global economic decline" and that he was "very sorry" for the lack of public consultation on last fall's budget cuts.

The City's department heads will bring a range of budget scenarios and Philadelphia's citizens will be expected to examine theses real budget alternatives, the Mayor's office said.

Tonight's meeting is at St. Dominic's School, located at 8510 Frankford Ave. in the northeast area of the city.

Project for Civic Engagement director Harris Sokoloff said that these meetings "won't be people giving the city a piece of their mind," but they will have to "work" with real data and difficult decisions.

He added that the most likely problem will be that the "sites can't take the inundation of people" if large crowds show up, but they have contingency plans if that will happen.

The other workshops will take place on the following dates:

-Feb. 18: Mastery Charter School, located at 5700 Wayne Ave. in Germantown

-Feb. 19: St. Monica Senior School, located at 16th and Porter streets in South Philadelphia

-Feb. 23: Pinn Memorial Baptist Church, located at 2251 N. 54th St. in West Philadelphia

Related StoriesPenn Project for Civic Engagement wants YOU - NewsHarris Sokoloff | Working to build the next great city - Opinion