Opponents of the proposed Campus Inn extended-stay hotel project at 40th and Pine streets will have to wait a little longer to make their case.

Their appeal of a Historical Commission decision allowing the project to move forward was scheduled to be heard yesterday before the Department of Licenses & Inspections Review Board.

However, the appeal is being rescheduled to allow enough time for the Spruce Hill residents and business owners and the Preservation Alliance to make their case.

They plan on spending about four hours arguing that the city has been wrong to allow 10-story hotel to be built on a Penn-owned parcel of land just west of campus.

The Historical Commission also plans on presenting a witness to explain its decision to approve the project, which it at first rejected.

No date has been set by the Review Board to hear the case.

The board is waiting to see whether it can schedule a special meeting to discuss the matter despite a city mandate that no special meetings of the board be held as a cost-cutting measure.

Failing that, the board will hear an hour of arguments every other week at its scheduled Tuesday meetings.

Plans for the hotel were proposed by Campus Apartments and a private developer in December 2007, and have since received criticism from area residents.