Diversity and financial aid were major topics at yesterday's University Council meeting.

In a well-attended gathering in Houston Hall's Bodek Lounge, Penn President Amy Gutmann, Provost Ron Daniels and faculty and student leaders discussed the progress of Penn's no-loan financial aid programs and campus minority representation.

According to Student Financial Services Director Bill Schilling, undergraduate aid expenditures increased by over 16 percent from the previous academic year to the current one and are projected to increase by at least 13 percent in the 2009 to 2010 academic year. However, the University continues to support its no-loan program for low-income families.

"We can't rest on our laurels," Daniels said. "There is a very significant movement forward, as we move away from loan-based programs and enhance socioeconomic diversity."

To increase campus diversity, associate provost for education Andy Binns proposed establishing a faculty council on academic support, adding that cross-cultural learning activities are on the rise.

Council members said over 23,000 students, faculty and staff each year take advantage of hundreds of various racial, religious, cultural and other diversity programs.

After scheduled discussions, students gave an update on RecycleMania, which aims to reduce campus waste by 30 percent over 10 weeks. Currently, Penn ranks somewhere in the middle of the Ivy League universities in terms of recycling and is leading in waste minimization.

Also discussed were questions of professors' prejudice in political topics, representation of Arab students on campus, upcoming renovations to DuBois College House and faculty commendations.

Feb. 22, 10:45 p.m. This article has been changed to reflect that the undergraduate aid expenditures increased by over 16 percent in the past academic year and are projected to increase by at least 13 percent in the coming year.