Midterms and papers are coming up, and students will be heading to Starbucks more than ever. But according to a new study, that extra latte may actually be beneficial to your health.

According to research published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease last month, a group of Danish and Swedish researchers found mid-life consumption of coffee diminishes the risks of dementia and Alzheimer's disease later in life.

They chose to explore the topic because "the long-term impact of caffeine on the central nervous system was still unknown," Miia Kivipelto, an assistant professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden and the lead author of the study, said in a press release.

For many Penn students - and coffee addicts - the study's results come as a pleasant surprise.

College freshman Gledisa Sanxhaku - who likes her coffee with french vanilla, extra caffeine and chocolate - said she's happy about the study.

"I have heard about other studies which say that drinking coffee is good for [the] heart," she said. "It's not really a surprise that drinking coffee has other effects as well."

And after hearing about the study, Darryl Brown, who works at the Metropolitan Bakery and Cafe at 4013 Walnut St., said, "I think I am going to drink more coffee now."

According to the press release by Karolinska Institute, the researchers divided the subjects into three groups - zero to two cups per day (low), three to five cups per day (moderate) and more than five cups per day (high).

Coffee drinkers at mid-life had lower risk for dementia and AD later in life compared to those drinking little or no coffee.

The lowest risk was found among moderate coffee drinkers, who drink three to five cups of coffee per day.

"Given the large amount of coffee consumption globally, the results might have important implications for the prevention of or delaying the onset of dementia/AD," Kivipelto said in the release.

She also said she hopes the study's results will aid in the development of new therapies for dementia and AD.

For Penn students who drink coffee often, this provides another good excuse for coffee consumption besides staying awake.

"The coffee industry should promote this because many people are against coffee and other substances," said College sophomore Vanessa Diamataris. "This will give them another perspective."

However, the study is only the first step. It has to be confirmed by other research, and the possibilities of dietary intervention can change the result of the study.

"The study itself is great," Wharton MBA D'laila Pereira said. "However, having too much coffee will also cause problems. Therefore, one should be aware of the fact and try not to be addicted to coffee too much."