Although the U.S. economy is facing its most severe downturn since the recession of the 1980's, Greek life is as strong as ever on Penn's campus.

The number of sorority pledges increased 19 percent this year, according to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, and both fraternity and sorority members and Greek leaders say they don't think finances will be an obstacle for most Greek-involved students.

"I don't think [the economy] affected the numbers of girls who completed the process," said College junior Alissa Eisenberg, a former Daily Pennsylvanian editor and Panhellenic Council president.

Scott Reikofski, director of OFSA, also said he didn't feel the economy poses a huge problem for potential fraternity and sorority members.

"Excluding dues," he said, "Greek housing may actually cost the same, or a little bit less, than University housing."

He added that unlike previous years, no students have approached him with financial concerns.

And though some students considered the economy when they began the rush process, ultimately it didn't seem to deter them from Greek life.

"Finances played a part [in my decision], but I still decided to rush," said Wharton freshman Britney van Valkenburg.

Greek houses have not been hit particularly hard by the economy - all have been paying their bills on time, and only a few have increased dues, Reikofski said.

Eisenberg noted that this may have been a result of many houses' cuts in rush expenses.

Despite the lack of conspicuous economic problems, dues remain a financial concern for some students considering going Greek.

Dues are not part of University financial aid programs and can cost anywhere from $300 to $600 or more per semester, depending on the chapter.

"It's really expensive," said Meghan Hussey, a College freshman. "With fees, dues, and housing . I'd have to work a summer job."

And College freshman Caroline Cross said she chose not to rush at all.

"I'd feel bad having to make my parents pay," she said.

To help alleviate this problem, several fraternities and sororities offer paid scholarships.

Sigma Kappa President and Wharton junior Lucy Obukowicz said several scholarships are available for sisters, based on academic performance and chapter involvement. Also, the Panhellenic Council offers two $200 need- and academic-based scholarships and may add more in the future.

Wharton freshman Katherine Mosbrucker said she chose not to rush but thinks paying for sorority involvement is possible.

"I know there are [scholarship] options out there," she said. "If I'd really wanted to join [a sorority], I would have found a way."