The murder of Philadelphia Police officer John Pawlowski last Friday night has been felt heavily by Penn Police Department staff, many of whom are former Philadelphia Police officers.

And in response to Pawlowski's death, the most recent in a string of police fatalities this year, the Division of Public Safety is making sure its officers are equipped to deal with the potentially violent aspects of their job.

Pawlowski is the fifth Philadelphia Police Officer to be killed in the line of duty in the last 10 months.

He was responding to a report of a highway disturbance in North Philadelphia when suspect Rasheed Scrugs, 33, of West Philadelphia allegedly shot him at least twice in the chest.

Pawlowski's partner was grazed by a bullet but was able to return fire, critically injuring the suspect.

"What makes it particularly shocking is that this was such a routine call," said Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, "and that the suspect was so willing to shoot at an officer."

She added that this is the type of call Penn Police officers respond to several times a day.

This incident emphasizes the need for Penn Police to be constantly on guard even in seemingly nonthreatening situations, said Penn Police Chief Mark Dorsey.

To this end, all Penn Police officers receive vigorous training in self-defense and verbal conflict-resolution techniques.

The latter skill, known as "verbal judo," teaches officers how to take control of a situation while maintaining a nonconfrontational atmosphere, Dorsey said.

Senior DPS officials also actively watch for signs of stress or anxiousness among officers, Rush said.

A special Critical Incidents Stress Management team is then able to offer affected officers assistance.

Additionally, the University has recently extended its Employee Assistance Program to Penn Police staff.

The program provides free and confidential information and support to Penn employees for personal and professional issues.

A black crepe now hangs outside DPS headquarters, and both Rush and Dorsey, as well as several other Penn Police officers, will attend Pawlowski's burial today.

Related StoriesViolence against police on the rise - News