n8v599n2
Penn's Cesar Grajales (left) acknowledges that his Quakers are the underdogs when they travel to Lincoln, Neb., to take on No. 4 Nebraska today. They'll face Pitt in an easier matchup at home on Sunday.

According to the Nebraska Corn Board, there are more than 3,500 different uses for the almost omnipresent vegetable.

Ethanol, high-fructose corn syrup and starch are just some of the more prominent maize manifestations.

The Penn wrestling team (6-4, 3-0 EIWA) hopes to add "redemption" to that list when it battles the No. 4 Nebraska Cornhuskers (10-2) at 7 p.m. tonight, before hosting No. 24 Pittsburgh (2-4) on Sunday.

As if competing against a top-five opponent from one of the best wrestling conferences in the nation wasn't enough, the Red and Blue have the added challenge of facing the Huskers on their home turf in Lincoln, Neb.

"It's tough going into their school, wrestling on their mat," senior 149-pounder Cesar Grajales said.

The match against Nebraska comes after a disappointing stretch in which the Quakers posted a 5-3 record over winter break. But all five wins came against bottom-of-the-barrel opponents like North Dakota State, Liberty and Franklin & Marshall.

Indeed, beating a big-time foe like the Huskers would help get the Quakers back on track after their poor winter performance lost them a top-25 national ranking.

As always, easier said than done.

Nebraska boasts six ranked wrestlers, including 174-pounder Brandon Browne and his 197-pound teammate Craig Brester, who are both ranked No. 2 nationally in their respective weightclasses.

"We know we're the underdogs, so we need to use that to fuel us," Grajales said. "[A win] would be a big payoff at this point."

No one knows that better than Penn's 174-pound Scott Giffin, who has been on a roll of late, posting a 4-1 record at the Virginia Duals and a top-12 finish at the prestigious Midlands Tournament.

He relishes the prospect of facing the second best wrestler in his weightclass.

"It gives a lot of confidence . realizing that you're competing with the best guys in the country and that you're hanging in there with them, that you're just as good as them if not better," Giffin said.

Whether they are able to hang with the Huskers or not, the Red and Blue will have to suit up for another tough test when the Panthers roll into town.

The Quakers are looking to keep Pitt winless outside of its conference - the perennially mundane Eastern Wrestling League.

And if how they stack up on paper counts for anything, the Quakers should be in for a very even matchup.

The Panthers and Quakers each have three ranked wrestlers. Pitt's most highly ranked grappler is No. 4 heavyweight Zach Sheaffer, Penn's is No. 10 Grajales.

"We're going to have to come out and bring our 'A' game, and look to win the matches that we're not supposed to win," Giffin said. "And then dominate in the other matches that we are supposed to win."