For many freshmen, today isn't just the beginning of a new semester - it's the start of their introduction to the Greek system on campus.

Penn's fraternities and sororities are putting on their best show for prospective members, offering free food and a good time spread out over a wide variety of events.

According to Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, men and women looking to join a Greek organization can look forward to live bands, singing and dancing, themed parties and the occasional barbeque.

While fraternity rush events are open to anyone interested, prospective sorority members need to register in advance and can look forward to a very structured process.

Interested students tour each of the eight sororities in groups and attend social and philanthropic events while narrowing down their choices of sororities.

"I'm really kind of nervous, but we'll see how it goes," said Daniel Lee, an Engineering freshman. "Anyway, if I don't get into a frat, there's always the free burgers."

Fortunately, acceptance numbers are high. Among the about 600 students who rush every year, roughly 500 receive a bid from a fraternity or sorority.

"Most guys who show a lot of interest get into a fraternity," Reikofski said. "It really depends on your commitment."

And while some people may just show up for the free food, the majority of those rushing show serious interest in joining the Greek system.

This year, students are going Greek in greater numbers than ever - over 650 students are expected to show up at rush events beginning today.

For many students, the decision to rush depends on word of mouth, so some fraternities invited freshmen to unapproved pre-rush events earlier in the fall designed to impress prospective pledges.

However, according to Reikofski, students should be asking more questions about a fraternity's values, academics and community service programs, as well as getting to know the brothers.

College junior Alissa Eisenberg, a former Daily Pennsylvanian editor and president-elect of the Panhellenic Council, advises students to "be open-minded, stay healthy and most importantly, be yourself."

"You've got to find the right fit," she added.

Drew Tye, College senior and president of the Panhellenic Council, praised the Greek system as a way for students to get involved in a community on campus.

"Greek life gives [a member] an opportunity to feel a sense of belonging at Penn," she said. "That's really important, and I think that's what [Greek life] is about."

Related StoriesSpring rush will remain a campus institution - News