p7ud6miz
Swimmer Martucci Credit: Ted Koutsoubas

Many athletes are unable to overcome the extreme emotional and physical roller coaster that results from a major injury.

Everyone has the option of quitting - an easy escape route that appears to the frustrated and discouraged - but Steve Martucci isn't one to take shortcuts.

This past summer, Martucci, a senior captain of the men's swimming team, tore his labrum in his left shoulder, forcing him to miss the entire 2008-09 season.

However, with the guidance of his coaches and teammates, the Easton, Pa., native was able to honor what he calls his "obligation" to his team by volunteering to take on the grueling schedule of an NCAA Division I assistant coach.

Ever since watching Martucci win a bronze medal on TV at the March 2004 Pennsylvania high school state tournament, Quakers head coach Mike Schnur was confident that Martucci was a dedicated student-athlete with a coach's mentality.

"He was already kind of a coach as a swimmer in the sense that he always was a really emotional guy and was a student of his sport," Schnur said. "He has done a terrific job for us this year as another coach on deck."

Martucci possesses a rare ability to balance his capacity for coaching with his competitive side as an athlete. Still, he was forced to come to terms with the emotional consequences of his injury and the fact that he would not be able to swim for the school that he loves.

"In the beginning it was hard to know my role when I was standing outside of the pool," Martucci said. "But I realized that I had to be there as a leader because that is all I could do. It was very weird being on the side of the pool and it was a very big challenge.

"You keep asking yourself: 'What do I do? Where do I stand? What do I do as a coach?'"

After a few frustrating summer weeks, Martucci has been working alongside Quakers assistant coach Brendan Gallagher with the men's sprinters since September.

Schnur said that he now discusses strategy, workout and training issues with Martucci, which he would not normally do with other swimmers.

Martucci has been able to transition from the pool to the deck rather smoothly and is thrilled with the team's success this year.

"I think that I have helped with positive attitude," Martucci said. "Refreshing yourself before practice is so important and just asking your teammates to do their best today and work with what they have."

Martucci also had to balance his new role as a coach with his personal relationship with his teammates.

"One of the things we talked to Steve about in the fall was that we didn't want him to alienate himself from his friends," Schnur said. "We wanted Steve to remain fully part of his peer group, and if he became fully coach, he would not be able to relate to the guys on the team in the same way."

However, Martucci's teammates have responded well to his new role and are impressed with his ability to handle the transition.

"As a coach he has carried over his great leadership traits that he had in the pool out of the water," junior sprinter and fellow captain Kyle Loughran said. "[He's] still the same guy, just as motivational, just as encouraging - just from a different perspective now."

Martucci, an Italian culture and psychology major, hopes to still be around a pool after graduating in May 2009.

"I know I need to work with enthusiastic, team-oriented people," Martucci said. "I love swimming and I was drawn to it. I can easily see taking a break, but this is my break."