There's another solution when you forget your grandmother's birthday after the local CVS has closed its doors.

Enter the Penn eCard, a new free service offered by the University as "a greener way to share the red and the blue," according to the Web site.

Senders can choose from 85 different images related to Penn, as well as from additional images specifically from the Law and Veterinary Schools. The cards feature pictures from popular sites around Penn, such as the Love statue - the current most popular card. Categories include birthdays, holidays and seasonal.

The idea for an eCards site originated from Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli, who hoped to "create a means of being eco-friendly and highlighting life at Penn through campus images," according to Business Services spokeswoman Barbara Lea-Kruger.

The site, ecard.business-services.upenn.edu, went live this August and close to 800 eCards have been sent since then.

"It's part of Penn's sustainability efforts and a way to send greetings to all your 'Penn pals' without having to use up paper," Lea-Kruger said.

She added that the service, which is free for all members of the Penn community, is cost-conscious as well.

Students can also recommend new images for eCards through a link on the Web site.

Though most students aren't yet aware the cards are being offered, they say they might send a few Penn greetings of their own.

"It's more convenient than finding a mailbox, though it might lose the traditional personal touch of a mailed card," said Wharton sophomore Margarita Levin, who was not initially aware that Penn has been offering cards. Levin added that she would use the cards for family and Penn-affiliated friends.

College sophomore David Saginur agreed, calling the cards "cute."

"I would send them to my grandmother if she knew how to use e-mail," he said.