vhaez715
The sight of a recent double shooting, the corner of 40th and Ludlow streets is a place Penn Police are trying to get under control.

A number of incidents involving large groups of teenagers on the western end of Penn's campus have prompted Penn and Philadelphia Police to take action to control the area.

The Division of Public Safety began noticing the crowds over the summer and, as a result, is improving lighting and coordinating with local businesses to improve area security.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said Penn Police collaborated with the Philadelphia Police to create a new deployment plan that will "ensure disorder management and keep people moving."

In an incident this fall, large groups of disorderly teenagers gathered at 40th and Spruce streets and 40th and Walnut streets. They were dispersed by Penn and Philadelphia police officers.

Two weeks ago, a disturbance at 40th and Spruce streets resulted in one man being hit over the head with a bottle outside the Game Room.

The area has also been hit with other violence recently. A double shooting at 40th and Ludlow streets killed one man and seriously injured another on Oct. 17.

Rush said DPS also worked with the University to complete the third phase of the University City Lighting Project in August, which added new pedestrian lighting in many areas on campus.

The fourth phase of the project, which began this month, includes working with landlords from 40th to 43rd streets to improve lighting for students who live in off-campus housing.

DPS has also been coordinating with local businesses to increase security in the area.

Rush said these businesses have been "very cooperative" in helping to control the situation in the area.

The McDonald's at 40th and Walnut streets recently agreed to remove its outdoor seating and plans to hire uniformed security officers.

The Game Room is also employing security, as well as installing security cameras and posting "no loitering" signs.

It seems the reason for this influx of local teenagers is a feeling of safety in the area around Penn's campus, Rush said.

When some of these teens were asked this summer why they liked spending time on 40th Street, "They said they live in West Philly," Rush stated, "and this is the safest place they can come."

She emphasized that despite this trend toward disorderly crowds, many of the teens in the area "weren't doing anything wrong."

Lt. Frank Vanore, a Philadelphia Police spokesman, said the Philadelphia Police are also aware of the situation and are taking measures to improve it.

"We do know about it, and we do notice it," he stated. The district's captain, he said, "is making necessary adjustments to ensure adequate coverage."

Vanore said these adjustments include enforcing the city's curfews and working with Penn Police to improve deployment.