cty536au
Sean Buffington discussed his role as an openly gay University president yesterday in honor of the upcoming National Coming Out Day.

When University of the Arts president Sean Buffington began speaking about being an openly gay man, he chose to begin with a disclaimer on his own biases.

"I am not a gay or lesbian studies expert. This is based on my own experiences, insights [and] prejudices," said Buffington as he addressed an audience at Steinhardt Hall, sponsored by the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center. His speech was in honor of National Coming Out Day, which will be celebrated on Saturday.

One of the youngest university leaders in the United States, Buffington was introduced by LGBT Center director Bob Schoenberg as being in an "uncommon situation" since he is a prominent administrator who deals with the implications of his sexual identity on his career.

Buffington explained how his specific university was more open to a homosexual president than other colleges nationwide. "People active in the arts not only have a more active gay/lesbian community but are also used to relating with people as outsiders." Also, his students are professionally focused and are less concerned with a traditional collegiate experience.

"He opened my eyes to diversity among institutions, something that may be a deciding factor in where I choose to work," said Penn Graduate School of Education student Bernex Richardson.

Buffington spoke honestly about his personal perception of his sexuality and the general attitudes among other LGBT people his age. "[We're] not quite ready to be assimilated but damn unwilling to go back into the closet." He continued to describe the internal tension between wanting to embrace being gay and being afraid of reactions to his sexual orientation.

The statement resonated with Joe Ovelman, a Penn Master of Fine Arts candidate. "My electrician said to me, 'You're a fag, aren't you? You did a good job of hiding it.' How I present my sexuality depends on each situation."

Along with his insight, Buffington offered words of caution for the LGBT community. "Progress is never irreversible," said Buffington as he ended his speech. "We are obligated to stand up and say who we are, even when something is at stake. I urge you to continue that struggle."

"He was informative and uncomfortably candid, a joy to have," said Ovelman.

"He can speak in ways that really resonate with the Penn community," said President Amy Gutmann, who was not present at the speech but welcomed Buffington at a prior reception at the LGBT Center.

*This article was edited at 8:01 p.m. on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 to correct a name.