jz6a0w62
Alex Grendi (left) netted the lone tally in New Hampshire on Saturday, one coach Rudy Fuller called "classy" and "an incredible shot." Grendi's goal in the 33rd minute gives him two on the year.

The men's soccer team logged 15 hours of driving time on its Saturday trip to Dartmouth. More importantly, it logged win No. 8 on the season, a 1-0 edging of the Big Green to remove the taste of two straight losses and put Penn back into Ivy title contention.

The Quakers were unfazed by Dartmouth's track record - a stint in the national top 20 as well as an early-season 4-0 thrashing of then-No. 3 Indiana - and started the first half zeroed-in despite the Hanover, N.H., chill.

Midfielder Alex Grendi provided the only goal of the match in the 33rd minute, assisted by Tobi Olopade and Kevin Unger.

As Olopade beat his defender down the right flank, he flipped the ball to the middle, where Unger redirected a one-touch to Grendi, who then blasted a left-footed shot into the top corner of the net.

"[Grendi] did a good job of getting a step on his defender," coach Rudy Fuller said. "He collected the ball quickly and hit an absolute bomb from about 20 yards out."

Fuller called Grendi's goal "classy" and "an incredible shot."

For the remainder of regulation, it was the Quakers' trusted defense that took over, securing the team's first win over Dartmouth since 2005.

"We were definitely sweating," said Jake Levin, a freshman defensive back. "I think we were lucky to hold the shutout, but everyone earned the clean sheet."

Big Green forward Craig Henderson was busy all night, especially late. In the final 10 minutes, the senior from New Zealand had three shots on goal, one of which deflected off the inside of the Quakers' goalpost, taking a Penn-friendly bounce into the gloves of senior keeper Drew Healy.

"[The deflection] took it straight out of the goal mouth," Healy said. "When you're working hard, good things happen to go your way sometimes."

Healy tallied nine saves en route to recording his eighth clean sheet of the season. The shutout brings him within two of the school record and matches the mark of Penn alumnus Dan Cepero, who had eight in 2005 and 2006.

Coincidentally, Cepero made his MLS debut on Saturday night for the New York Red Bulls. Healy had the chance to speak with his former teammate before the game, but said any plans of following Cepero to the pros won't be addressed until the season is over.

"Right now, all of us are just focused on closing out the season well and winning an Ivy League title," he said.

Fuller pointed to his seniors for Saturday's victory, noting that "you can't buy experience." The veteran-laden Red and Blue responded brilliantly after losing two frustrating games in a row.

Coming off the field on Saturday night, Healy and his teammates felt something they haven't in a while.

"A lot of us were looking around," he said, "and we thought, 'That's what it felt like, like before, to have everyone working hard for each other.'"

Related StoriesM. Soccer | Long trip to New Hampshire where an 'L' means long odds - Sports