We're all experts in education. That is, all of us have intimate and formal experience in the field. Personally, I enjoy fond memories of my public-school education. I was fortunate to find myself engaged with challenging course work and dedicated teachers until my graduation day.

This summer, I had a different experience. As I co-taught a summer program in North Philadelphia, I observed education through the lens of an inner-city child. One of the brightest children in my class sat as his desk staring aimlessly around the room, ignoring the assignment on his desk. I knelt beside him, hoping to find a source of motivation to keep him going.

"What do you want to do when you grow up? What are your goals?" I asked.

The nine-year-old boy looked back at me, a confused look painted across his face. "What difference does that make? I live in Philadelphia where everyone gets shot anyway." This small child literally had no hope, or even concept, of living a long, prosperous life.

Unfortunately, this is the reality facing many of our urban students. With no motivation to succeed, no desire to graduate or no understanding that education can change their quality of life, these students are placed in the poorest schools in our country, with the highest teacher-turnover rates, in crowded classrooms. They do not learn. They are not motivated. The difference between my school experience and that of the nine-year-old had nothing to do with national standards or testing - it had to do with the surrounding environment and the neighborhood culture. Fortunately, Senator John McCain has laid out an extensive educational reform proposal that will allow these children to move beyond economic limitations.

The only way to equalize the educational opportunities available to all of the students in this country is to equalize their access to the high-achieving schools with the resources necessary for success. A student's ability to thrive should not be predicated on his geographical surroundings. By allowing parents to use the money they pay for education to enroll their child in the school of their choice, John McCain will begin to eradicate this grave inequality from our bureaucratic school system.

Additionally, while No Child Left Behind has effectively identified the underperforming schools in our country, it has done little to rectify the challenges we face. McCain believes in putting accountability into action, by offering incentives to the most dedicated and qualified teachers choosing to locate in high-needs districts.

He'll provide monetary bonuses for teaching in these challenging educational settings and for raising student-achievement levels, finally putting Title II funding in the hands of those serving our children.

McCain's reform program will consistently focus on giving the power back to those who know what's best for their students. He will empower local principals and administrators by putting the purchasing power back into their hands. The real experts on what our children need are the ones who work with them everyday - who see the struggles they face, who choose to offer a helping hand - not policy makers in Washington.

As Penn students, every day we have the opportunity to learn innovative concepts from the most qualified instructors in our nation and around the world. McCain will seek to extend this opportunity to all by offering incentives to universities for using innovative techniques while removing the restrictive barriers that prevent our institutions from moving forward. He will fight to simplify the federal-aid application process and increase higher-education tax benefits, limiting the financial burden that plagues many families.

Living in Philadelphia has opened our eyes to the real challenges facing the urban school system.

But acknowledging the hardships does little to rectify them. In the words of John McCain, "our schools can and should compete to be the most innovative, flexible and student-centered - not safe havens for the uninspired and unaccountable."

Let's help give parents and students a choice. Let them break free of the barriers of inequality and choose the inspired and accountable education we can most certainly provide.

Kelly Siddle is a College senior and Executive Director of the College Republicans.

This is the first in a three-part series. This month, both campaigns discuss education policies. Next month, hear from both of the student campaigns about their candidate's plans for healthcare reform!

Related StoriesPenn for Obama | The education candidate - Opinion