The University Board of Trustees Executive Committee heard updates from administrative officials and from the heads of two Trustee Committees at their Stated Meeting Thursday afternoon.

After chairman James Riepe opened the meeting, Penn President Amy Gutmann spoke briefly about accolades the University and its researchers and professors had received in the past few months.

Gutmann announced the appointment of Marilyn Taylor Jordan as the new dean of the School of Design. Taylor, who has been an architect at New-York based design firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill, for 35 years, will assume her new position Oct. 1. She will take over from Gary Hack, who has led the School of Design for the past 12 years.

Some resolutions passed Thursday included:

n Dean of the School of Medicine Arthur Rubenstein announced that an exact replica of the Thomas Eakins painting "The Agnew Clinic" was hung in the Medical School earlier this week. The original, which hung in the school after being commissioned in 1889, was placed in the Philadelphia Museum of Art several years ago.

n The Budget and Finance Committee announced two recent allocations to renovate buildings at Penn. At a Committee meeting earlier Thursday morning, the Committee approved a $5 million request to renovate the 1958 wing of the Chemistry Building laboratories, as well as a $3.1 million request to renovate the School of Medicine's Maloney Building.