dzu388c4
Mask and Wig performs in the Quad on Saturday.

Penn asked why, and the Social Planning and Events Committee answered - with fried Oreos, a cappella performances, human bowling and two days of full-out partying.

Penn's annual Spring Fling weekend took place this past Friday and Saturday in the Quad and on College Green. Per tradition, it featured musical performances by students groups like Mask and Wig, charity booths like the Chi Omega dunk tank and plates of cheese steaks, funnel cakes and other food.

"What I liked most about Fling were the aspects of the weekend that were so polar opposite of my school," said New York University freshman Arielle Trop, who was visiting a friend at Penn for Fling and said she enjoyed the "more traditional college weekend" she experienced at Penn.

"The Quad's a good space for Fling, but I'm glad that I don't live there," said College junior Aaron Blacksberg. "It's nice to pick and choose when I want to fling," he added.

As rain was forecasted in the days leading up to the weekend, Fling co-director and College sophomore Dasha Barannik said the unexpected sunny weather was also a highlight for many students - and not just from a partygoer's point of view.

College senior Max Cancre, SPEC chairman and FlingSafe liason attributed the fewer-than-usual accidents that required hospital care to the nicer weather.

"We really lucked out with that," said Cancre. "People were more likely to be outside and it made our job much more manageable."

FlingSafe, a SPEC initiative started four years ago to promote safe behavior during Fling, also had a record number of applicants - about 500 students applied for 250 spots. Volunteers received a free T-shirt and concert ticket in exchange for a two-hour patrol shift.

Fling wrapped up Saturday night with Carnival on College Green, featuring free food from several Philly vendors as well as live DJ music and a movie screening of Old School.

In addition to student favorites like Pat's cheesesteaks and Capogiro Gelateria, there were two new drink vendors this year - Fuse and Full Throttle - both of which distributed free samples of their products, according to Fling co-director and College junior Michelle Jacobson.

"There were more people in general and people who stayed later in night, and we really attributed it to the weather and the signs in the Quad," added Jacobson, who estimated Carnival turnout to be about 3,000.

However, some students expressed dissatisfaction with the food and other aspects of Fling.

"The lines for food during Carnival were ridiculous," said College freshman Erik Virbitsky. "For the amount of money we pay, the food in the Quad could have been a little cheaper and there should be more free food." Virbitsky said he enjoyed Fling nonetheless.

"The bag checks were also really annoying - you couldn't even bring in unopened water bottles," said College freshman Nicole Little.

And yet, year after year, students eagerly await the chance to fling.

"It's fun running into all the people you've lost touch with and haven't seen in a long time, and since it's Fling, everyone is in such a good mood and happy to see you," said College junior Aaron Werner.

And the number one reason to fling?

"Penn students like to eat," Jacobson said.