Next year, Penn should be a little bit greener with the recent announcement that Dan Garofalo will be the University's first-ever sustainability coordinator.

Garofalo - currently senior facilities planner at the Office of the University Architect - will be responsible for forming Penn's strategy to minimize waste, make transportation more environmentally friendly and conserve energy throughout campus. He will also work with designers and architects to ensure that future structures are "greener."

"The role Dan will play is enormously important to the University as we develop our long-range plan for sustainability," said Facilities and Real Estate Services Vice President Anne Papageorge.

"He has already been a leader among his peers in helping to research and establish sound polices in the higher education sector," she added.

Garofalo said he is excited to be at the forefront of change.

"The University architect's office guides the growth of the campus," he said. "It's a very important recognition that Penn is dedicated to sustainability."

He said the position demonstrates the University's level of commitment to increasing sustainability to his colleagues both at Penn and elsewhere.

Six interns and an assistant will work with Garofalo. Facilities is working to fill these slots.

Each intern will be responsible for researching various sustainability issues, including a Philadelphia bike-share program, leasing space for companies using solar energy and wind power near the high-rises.

He also plans to be practical.

"We don't want to do LEED certification for the sake of a plaque," he said. "We want to use the tool in the best way possible."

Garofalo is a LEED-certified architect and has been with the University since 2002.