g46zff6p
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton spoke to the press at City Hall yesterday.

Democratic presidential candidate and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton came to City Hall yesterday to talk about the war in Iraq. But members of the press were more interested in her response to Barack Obama's high-profile speech on race, also delivered yesterday in Philadelphia.

While the stated topic of the event was the Iraq war, during a question-and-answer session, Clinton was asked about a number of other issues, namely Obama's speech.

When asked for a response to the Obama event, Clinton replied that she "did not have a chance to see or read" Obama's speech, but acknowledged the importance of its topic.

"The issues of race and gender in America have been complicated throughout our history and they are complicated in this primary," she said.

Clinton went on to address the historic nature of this year's Democratic race.

"We will nominate the first African-American or woman to the presidency of the United States, and that is something that all Americans can and should celebrate," she said.

When asked if she would give a speech in response to Obama's remarks or on similar issues in the future, Clinton said she "can't predict [that] right now."

Clinton was also questioned about whether Obama had done enough to renounce Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent remarks criticizing the United States, which Wright says believes in a "white supremacy."

She did not give a direct answer, saying only that the question should be directed to Obama himself.

Clinton's opening remarks at the media-only event, however, outlined her plan to begin troop withdrawal within 60 days of being sworn in as president.

"There is no military solution to Iraq's civil war," Clinton said. "A well-planned withdrawal is the one and only path to a political solution."

She also stressed her experience on the Senate Armed Services Committee and her trips to Iraq and Afghanistan as reasons she would be the most competent president.

"What matters in this campaign is not just the promises we make to end the war," Clinton said.

"The test is not the speeches a president delivers, it's whether the president delivers on the speeches," she added.

Clinton also fielded questions on home foreclosure, the economy and the transparency of her campaign, with Clinton asserting that she is "probably the most transparent person in public life."

She cited the 11,000 pages of her schedules that will be released by the National Archives today.

Clinton was joined at the event by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, ex-CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson and former U.S. ambassador Joe Wilson.

Mayor Nutter and both of the Wilsons introduced Clinton, stressing her readiness to lead on day one as well as her considerable experience on the issue of the Iraq war.