The women's basketball team has struggled with injuries all season. Only six Quakers have played in all 22 games this season, and only one, Anca Popovici, has been a constant in the starting lineup.

While the Red and Blue aren't making excuses for their poor record, they have lost more than just playing time due to injuries - it has been difficult for Penn to establish an offensive rhythm.

"With so many players that are coming in and out this year with injury, we have to make sure when they come back that they know the plays," Penn coach Pat Knapp said.

"It's one thing sitting on the sideline and watching or studying them in a book. It's another thing being out there reading the defense and leading your teammates."

Kim Adams, Caroline Nicholson, Erin Power and Kelly Scott have returned after long injuries, but that is partially offset by the current absences of guards Kimberly Franklin and Caitlin Slover.

"That's just the position we're in," Knapp said.

"We try to work on a package of plays each day and each week . and hopefully we'll get better at them."

A 16-day break in the schedule in January gave the depleted Quakers a chance to heal and gel.

Penn has averaged nearly 62 points in six games since the break - including a season-high 75 against Yale on Saturday - compared to under 51 points per game the rest of the season.

And in their worst output of all, against Villanova in December, the Quakers scored a sickly 26 points.

Since their returns to the lineup, junior Kelly Scott -who is the leading returning-scorer from last season - and freshman Kim Adams have been particularly crucial to the team's offensive resurgence.

The two guards have shot a combined 43 percent from beyond the arc and are averaging 9.4 and 7.2 points per game, respectively. They are the team's second- and third-leading scorers behind junior Carrie Biemer.

Adams said after the break that the team was able to add more elements of a transition offense, which led to more quality scoring opportunities.

Following a Feb. 2 loss to Dartmouth, Knapp attributed the signs of offensive improvement to hard work - including extra shooting and film sessions - along with players recovering from injury.

"We don't have some of our players, and we've gotten some of them back," Knapp said after that game.

"[Scott and Adams] have brought a little extra pop to the lineup, obviously."

Since the Quakers are far from contention for the Ivy League title this season, they hope to use their remaining games as a building block for next season.

If the Red and Blue can manage to stay healthy, they may be on to something offensively.