Want to go on a bike ride? In 60 cities worldwide, it's easier than ever with public-use bicycle programs - and it could be just as easy in Philadelphia in the future.

Russell Meddin, a local activist, is working toward implementing a public-use bicycle program in Philadelphia in order to promote environmentally friendly travel. City officials have taken initial steps to explore such a program.

"We've been trying to raise awareness and change the way we think about transportation," Meddin said. "We have to go from four wheels to two wheels."

Penn students also expressed interest in a bicycle-sharing program. After studying abroad in Lyon, France last year and experiencing its public-use bicycle program, College senior Brittany Bonnette said she thinks a similar initiative would be useful to students in Philadelphia.

Public-use bicycles would help students with "getting quickly to classes, not having to worry about having [their] own bike and going downtown to bars and restaurants," she said.

That's the way students in Lyon used the program, Bonnette said, adding, "It's a very versatile transportation option, and it's virtually cost-free."

Both Bonnette and Meddin pointed out similarities between Lyon and Philadelphia - both are major cities at the intersection of two rivers and have large student populations.

One of the arguments against a public-use bicycle program is Philadelphia's high crime rate. However, Meddin said this concern shouldn't stop the city from implementing such a program.

"Crime happens, but it's not insurmountable - I don't think the vandalism and crime is such an incumbrance to doing this," he said.

A public meeting was held on Jan. 17 to discuss the implementation of a public-use bicycle program in Philadelphia. Meddin said he did not know the exact number of attendees, but that he was pleased with the turnout.

"So many people came and so many came on their bicycles," he said.

One attendee was Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, who is "interested in taking a look" at such a program, as it promotes sustainability and healthy activity for Philadelphia residents, said Doug Oliver, Nutter's press secretary.

Last week, City Council passed a resolution calling for public hearings to consider what steps should be taken toward implementing a bike-sharing program.

"We're very, very excited," Meddin said. "We think this is a grand way in which we can get people out of their SUVs and doing something that's good for their bodies."