Drexel sophomore Evan Neisler knows big-time college hoops. The 6-foot-8 forward was born into possibly the most prolific basketball region outside the Hoosier state: Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

With perennial powerhouses like Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest, it would have seemed Neisler would be drawn to career in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"I was okay with all the [ACC] schools, I didn't really like anyone in particular," said Neisler. "I grew up not liking Duke."

Neisler lived in Connecticut during his adolescence, bringing him closer to his eventual college career in the northeast. It started with a year at Boston College.

"I really wanted to go up somewhere way far away from where I was living," said Neisler.

"Boston was the city; I loved the city schools."

It's no surprise then that Neisler gravitated to Drexel, but not before a run with the Eagles.

"It was a lot of fun, but it was also humbling," said Neisler.

"I would just get killed in practice everyday."

Boston College advanced to the Sweet Sixteen during the 2005-2006 season, Neisler's freshman year.

"I wish I could have been more a part of it on the court," said Neisler, who played eight games for a total of 24 minutes.

"It's good to be able to tell family and friends I was there."'

In his limited time on the court, Neisler had the opportunity to play with Jared Dudley, Sean Williams and Craig Smith - all of whom are now sporting NBA uniforms.

"I still talk to Craig [Smith] a little bit," said Neisler. "But I haven't talked to Jared [Dudley] or Sean [Williams]."

Unlike his former teammates, Neisler's aspirations are away from the hardwood.

"I actually want to be a lawyer," said Neisler. "I'm going to look into law school after basketball."

Educational opportunities and his older brother's basketball career at Drexel are what brought Neisler to Philadelphia.

"He [Neisler's brother, Ross] is the one that just called me up, out of the blue and said, 'yo, Drexel said that they have a scholarship for you,'" the younger Neisler said.

"I knew the [Drexel] campus. I knew the city. I grew up watching a lot of [my brother's] games.

Neisler claims the "Battle for 33rd Street" is just as intense as any ACC competition he's seen.

"My older brother told me a lot about this rivalry," Neisler said. "If anything, this one's more important to me."

Neisler should be primed to get back on the court after sitting out the 2006-2007 per NCAA transfer rules.

"I just tried to make the best of the year academically and with my own personal basketball game," said Neisler.

"Honestly, I didn't really have time to do anything else."

Neisler is a true Drexel Dragon, but his ties to Boston College haven't died - at least on the gridiron.

When asked about the Eagles' football No. 2 national ranking, he had no reservations.

"I hope that they get to be number one. A lot of my friends are on that team and I'm just rooting for them."

Too bad Drexel doesn't have a football team.