80ghk5hv
Chris Jericho autographs a copy of his newest book, A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex, for a fan. Credit: Alvin Loke

It isn't every day that hundreds of wrestling fans cram themselves into the upper floor of the Penn Bookstore.

About a hundred World Wresting Entertainment fans gathered to see Chris Jericho - wrestler turned actor, television personality, radio host, rock star and now author - at a book-signing appearance for his first book, A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex.

According to Jericho, the book is a "coming-of-age story" depicting how he "got to the pot of gold, with wrestling as a backdrop."

Fans rolled in from throughout the tri-state area; most came from greater Philadelphia, but some hailed from as far as upstate New York.

Devout Jericho followers James and Kristen Testerman of Delaware arrived at the event five hours before it began to secure prime spots in the line to meet the author.

Many fans came bearing gifts, ranging from bobblehead dolls to posters.

One passionate fan, Michelle Perlman of Northeast Philadelphia, gave the much-appreciative Jericho a scrapbook chronicling his life from his beginnings in the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling to his current musical and theatrical endeavors, as well as all of his awards in between.

"The Sexy Beast," as Jericho is known, took a hiatus from wrestling beginning in 2004 after a loss to fellow WWE wrestler John Cena.

Rumors of a possible comeback spread throughout the line of fans, but Jericho was reluctant to respond to questions about it.

Although fans had little to say about Jericho's latest TV movie, Android Apocalypse, they said they enjoyed his literary debut.

"It is like Chris is talking to you, showing his sense of humor, having a real honest conversation," Kristen Testerman said.

Perlman described the book as "pure journalism, very charismatic writing."

Described by radio personality Peter Rosenberg as a "cool, nonchalant guy," Jericho signed autographs, took photographs and chatted with fans for over two hours.

Although the 18-month project was "harder than he thought, and required a lot of dedication and work," Jericho said he entertains the possibility of another book describing his experience in the world of wrestling.

However, right now he is focusing on his current work, hoping it "is on the New York Times best-seller list" and "gives people nuggets of experiences on how he made it."

The resounding lesson throughout the book?

"The only people who tell you you can't do something are people who have failed," Jericho said. "You just have to be courageous and determined."