0y6i1z51
10/22/2007 Mayoral Forum in West Philly Al Taubenberger and Michael Nutter

Communication between Penn, other local universities and community groups on gentrification and affordable housing issues will be a key issue in the coming years, the man who will likely be the next mayor told West Philadelphia residents last night.

Michael Nutter, the heavily favored Democratic nominee for mayor, participated in a debate with Republican nominee Al Taubenberger last night in front of about 70 area residents.

The focus of the event stayed mostly on crime, education and other pressing issues, but as Penn begins its eastward-expansion project, attendees voiced their concerns about the effect that the University's plans will have on the area.

One attendee complained that "Penn has become more like a government" and asked how the candidates would address the challenge Penn posed to "Philadelphia's elected government and free market."

Both Nutter and Taubenberger responded by emphasizing the importance of keeping housing affordable in the event of rising property values as universities expand.

The event, held last night by Intercultural Family Services Inc., a local social-services group, in its auditorium at 4225 Chestnut St., is part of a number of debates across the city leading up to the Nov. 6 general election, which Nutter is a virtual lock to win.

"Parents need to help raise the kids they had and not expect the city government to raise them," he said to scattered applause from the crowd. "Men need to step up. Government employees can't solve all the problems of the universe."

Taubenberger touted his experience as president of the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.

"You can't create jobs from the second floor of City Hall," he said. "You have to go out there and be the city's chief salesman and cheerleader, and that's been my job."

The candidates offered a variety of solutions to the city's crime problem, including hiring more police officers and better deploying police.

Taubenberger pointed to more jobs as the primary answer, saying that, "when drugs become the only opportunity for someone, that's really a problem."

"Police need to operate within the framework of civil rights and the Constitution," he added, referring to Nutter's controversial stop-and-frisk policy.

Nutter defended the policy, and said that the city was having a "crime emergency."

"If you're not carrying illegal weapons, you have nothing to worry about," he said. "I'm tired of games, I'm not playing around, and I'm not backing off. We're going to make this city safe"

Bob Christian, editor of the University City Review, moderated the debate, which attendees thought presented a good opportunity for the candidates to be more honest with voters.

"Now that the primaries are over, the campaign rhetoric has toned down," said West Philadelphia resident Sharrieff Ali. "We can finally hear about their actual plans for the city."