Former U.S. Cabinet member James Baker will deliver the keynote address at the University's 251st Commencement ceremony on Monday.

Penn officials say Baker, who co-authored the Baker-Hamilton Report regarding the war in Iraq and served as Secretary of State under President George H. W. Bush, will inspire the Class of 2007 with a relevant and timely speech.

"People are definitely excited to hear what James Baker has to say to our class," class president and Wharton senior Andrew Kaplan said. "The initial concerns expressed by some individuals have been put to rest."

The announcement of Baker as this year's speaker stirred controversy within the Penn community when it was first made in March.

The Penn Israel Coalition called the decision to bring in Baker "appalling," citing his clashes with national pro-Israel groups and alleged anti-Semitic remarks.

The statesman has also been linked to several other controversial political views and events in his career of public service.

Baker is most notorious among liberals for his role in the 2000 presidential election, in which he convinced the U.S. Supreme Court to prevent a recount in Florida, essentially granting President George W. Bush the presidency.

This role, and numerous others, turned heads among the Penn Democrats, College Republicans and other groups on campus.

Still, administrators say it was precisely Baker's national repute and controversial character that colored him an excellent candidate to deliver this year's keynote address.

"He's held an incredible range of positions and, at the same time, he's a noted expert on world affairs," Penn President Amy Gutmann said.

The selection of Baker stands in stark contrast to last year's choice of Academy Award-winning actress Jodie Foster, whom seniors initially criticized as a poor selection.

University Secretary Leslie Kruhly, whose office oversaw the decision to choose Baker, hopes Baker will appeal to students "entering the world at a particularly interesting and difficult time."

Seniors prepare for graduation

As seniors gear up for their imminent graduation, most have already begun thinking about the legacy they will leave at Penn:

n The senior gift drive had raised $70,300 from 1,281 as of Wednesday - more money and donors than last year's class accumulated when it graduated.

The number leaves just 98 gifts to reach the 63 percent participation and 119 gifts that would mark this year's class the first in Penn's history to boast the coveted 1,400 donors.

"I feel confident we'll have [that] by June 30," the last day seniors can donate, said Wharton senior Healey Cypher, who is one of the gift drive's chairmen.

The money will go toward the Penn fund, which supports general University needs like financial aid and residential living.

n Seniors are also making preparations for tomorrow's Ivy Day, during which senior leaders will present the Ivy Day Stone. The stone, planted by seniors each year in a different location, serves as a permanent monument to each class.

The Senior Class Board chose to place the class's stone in front of the Admissions office, just opposite the one placed three years ago by the Class of 2004.

"A high-traffic place was very important," Kaplan said. "But, ultimately, we decided that this would be a spot that, when people came back, [they] would want to take pictures with families, and the stone would always be highly visible."