976hgrl3
Jason Pinsky hits a forehand during Penn's February match against Maryland. The Quakers face Navy in their first play on Lott Courts this year.

They just need a breath of fresh air.

The Penn men's tennis team (4-11) return home for the first time since before spring break for their first outdoor match on the Lott Courts, and could do with a win.

Last Sunday, senior Mikhail Bekker picked up the team's only point in a 1-6 loss to No. 28 Michigan, sending No. 68 Penn into a three-match skid .

Penn coach Mark Riley remains unencumbered by his team's record, however, citing this season's significantly more difficult strength of schedule as the source - and a positive.

"We just need to keep moving along," Riley said. "We're not in a bad place. We've played in a lot of tough matches."

Yet when a team that expects to win notches just five individual victories in the past three matches, it would be natural to take on a negative attitude. Riley insisted that is not the case.

"The bottom line is that we are the two-time ECAC champions and defending Ivy League champions and that's how we carry ourselves. Our schedule and preparation are different this year. If we win the Ivy and make the NCAA Tournament this year, it was worth it."

Navy is not supposed to be one of the "tough matches." At 6-9, the Midshipmen have won just once on their current eight-match road trip, with Penn being the final stop.

Incidentally, Penn and Navy share a handful of common opponents this year. Both took care of St. Joseph's (Penn in a shutout; Navy 6-1) but lost to Maryland and North Carolina State.

The Midshipmen only lost a 4-3 decision to the top-40 Wolfpack, but N.C. State gave its top player, No. 35 Nick Cavaday, the day off and rearranged its lineup against unranked Navy. The Quakers did a similar roster change against Navy last year, starting some of their reserves in a 4-3 victory.

With just two matches before conference play, however, Penn will not enter tomorrow's bout with a lackadaisical attitude. Doubles play has improved, but still cannot bring in a point consistently. The Quakers' singles, led by junior Jason Pinsky, began spring break impressively before faltering during the latter half.

If the Quakers are to defend their conference title and punch a ticket to the Tournament, no one can afford to falter come Ivy play next week.

"We need to continue to get ready for Ivies," Riley said. "The guys are playing fairly well. Hopefully we get a good win tomorrow."