s2x9ou00
Eric Riley swings a backhand during a doubles match against Navy earlier in the season. After a tough non-conference slate, the Quakers will open their Ivy schedule with No. 65 Princeton tomorrow.

When Penn opens up conference play Saturday afternoon in Princeton, N.J., the defending co-Ivy League champs have something to prove.

In the latest collegiate men's tennis rankings, three Ivy League teams are ranked in the top 75. With a 7-4 record (2-4 against ranked opponents), Princeton sits at No. 65. After going 1-11 against ranked foes, compiling a 6-11 record, Penn dropped off the list.

Now is the time for the Quakers to show that their daunting schedule has made them a formidable opponent - that they are still the team to beat in the Ivies regardless of records.

But one loss could doom the Quakers' chance to win the conference outright and cost them an opportunity to punch a highly coveted ticket to the NCAA Tournament.

The task begins on Saturday, when the Red and Blue take on a familiar opponent in Princeton.

Last spring, Penn defended its home courts by trouncing its rival, 6-1. Other than sophomore Peter Capkovic taking over the Tigers top-singles duties from current senior Sratha Saengsuwarn, neither team's lineup underwent significant changes.

The result did not change much when the teams met in the second round of the ECAC Championships this fall, when Penn won 5-2 en route to its second straight ECAC title.

"It's just Penn-Princeton," Quakers coach Mark Riley said of the rivalry. "It's basically the same two teams that played each other at the ECACs."

The top singles match usually attracts the most attention, and the bout between Capkovic and Penn's Jason Pinsky will be especially intriguing. Saturday's match will be the third time the rivals have met this season, with the victor walking away with bragging rights until next fall.

Pinsky won round one in September, 6-2, 7-5 for the title in the Princeton/Farnsworth Invitational final. Capkovic earned his revenge the next weekend at the ECACs, prevailing in a deciding tiebreaker 6-4, 2-6, (10-6).

Mikhail Bekker, who has spent most of the semester sidelined with injury, will also be seeking revenge against the Tigers. The senior fell in a similar deciding tiebreaker to Saengsuwarn at the ECACs, 6-7 (5), 6-3, (10-5).

With Bekker back in the lineup, Penn regains the degree of dangerous depth it lacked earlier this spring.

"[Bekker] is like our security blanket," Riley said. "Pinsky and Boym have been great for us this year but Bekker is so solid. . He makes us better. I certainly sleep better at night knowing he is the lineup now."

The most difficult point for Penn to win, however, may come at doubles. While Princeton dropped its past two matches to ranked opponents in San Diego State and San Diego, it took the doubles point both times.

Riley remains confident his team can perform at every spot.

"If we play tough from top to bottom the way we did in the ECACs, things will look good for us."