e5kcd22d
Kentucky is the dominant American location for horse racing, and hosts both the Kentucky Derby and the Bluegrass Stakes.

LEXINGTON, Ky.

It's surrounded by the land of bluegrass, thoroughbreds and bourbon. But at the heart of Lexington is one thing - the basketball scene.

While divided loyalties make Philadelphia a special hoops town, in Lexington, there is no argument.

The city bleeds Kentucky blue.

Everything, from the road signs to the taxicabs, is blue in honor of their seven-time national champion Wildcats.

And if you're among those coming down from Penn, here's how we suggest you drown in the sea of blue.

At the Arena

When Wildcats coach Tubby Smith brings in recruits for their visits, they of course take in Rupp Arena, the dorms and the dining halls.

But then there's one more stop: the Kentucky Basketball Museum. And like any prospective Wildcat, this should be one of your first.

Museum employee Betty Condi offered The Daily Pennsylvanian a sneak peek at the museum, and we were thoroughly impressed. Be sure to check out the court from UK's 1998 Final Four victories and play a simulation against former Wildcats.

And if you're a Kentucky fan, recreate the play-by-play of the 1992 Regional Finals, but be sure to change the outcome.

"You don't have to call it the way you see it," Condi said.

The museum is part of a glorified shopping mall that gives a historic basketball venue a bit of a gimmicky flavor.

In town

Unfortunately, for the 18-22 demographic looking for a party on campus this week, you may be out of luck. Spring break has swept through Lexington and wiped out the "Girls of the SEC" population. And ladies: Your southern gentleman won't be waiting to sweep you off your feet either.

Never fear, though. The campus bar scene, especially on Limestone Street, will be hopping with visitors from the eight schools playing at Rupp Arena.

"All up Limestone is where the college students go," said Condi, who has lived in Lexington since 1981. "Get over there and you've got it made."

For those of you looking for the historic side, just down the street from Rupp is the house that belonged to the family of Mary Todd Lincoln. The old courthouse is also a beautiful building that's a must for law buffs.

As for your dining options, there is no shortage of places to get your standard bar fare on campus and in the downtown neighborhood surrounding Rupp Arena. And when it's March and there's college hoops on 12 hours a day, who would want to go out fancy?

For a recommendation, we consulted a source quite familiar with the area. Brennan Votel, Penn sophomore forward and native of Park Hills, Ky., who played his high-school state tournament at Rupp, recommends Joe Bologna's. When we visited today, we found that it was a converted synagogue which now serves casual Italian fare.

Bourbon capital of

the world

Home to 99 percent of the world's bourbon production, Kentucky is a boozer's dream.

But now that you're here, don't just drink the stuff, experience it.

Do the Kentucky thing with a mint julep, a mojito-like creature of bourbon, mint, sugar and ice.

And if you have a car, go straight to the source. Head just 12 miles out to Versailles (Americanized to the pronunciation ver-sails) and you'll find the Woodford Reserve distillery. Other brands also have their homes in bluegrass country, but I'll recommend the one that has a Kentucky Derby race named after it.

Horsing around

Even more than bourbon, bluegrass country is known for its rolling acres of horse farms. While the Kentucky Derby may be held 80 miles away in Louisville, everybody in the racing world knows that the Lexington area is the heart of the sport.

Kentucky-breds dominate American racing, and most of those are bred on the hundreds of spacious Central Kentucky farms. Lexington also hosts the nation's most prominent auctions, where future thoroughbred stars are sold for millions.

Unfortunately, Keeneland Race Course , home of the prestigious Bluegrass Stakes, is closed until early April.

But if you're not doing anything Thursday or Friday morning, go for a drive. Leave the city in almost any direction, and you'll soon find yourself in some of the nation's most beautiful terrain.