4oblecp5
Freshman pitcher William Gordon slides back into first safely in the Quakers' victory over Temple on Wednesday. Next up for Penn is two doubleheaders against Georgetown in Washington, D.C. this weekend.

When the baseball team was 3-2 partway through its Florida swing, it was the first time it had a winning record in three seasons.

Then Penn lost three-straight, but after beating Temple in their home opener, the Quakers can emerge from a four-game trip to the nation's capital above .500 yet again.

Penn (4-5) will take on Georgetown (7-10), weather permitting, in two doubleheaders this weekend.

Head coach John Cole said that he has not determined his precise starting rotation. Yet he indicated that senior right-hander Joe Thornton would get the nod in one of the four contests. The other three will come from the group of four freshmen: Jim Birmingham, Todd Roth, Robbie Seymour, and Reid Terry.

Statistically, the Quakers' pitching has been dreadful this season, with a team earned run average of 7.63. The bulk of those runs were charged to the bullpen, which will again be a key to the Georgetown series.

"Probably the most delicate part of the job in a four game series over two days is how to manage your bullpen correctly, when to fire your bullet, when to wait," Cole said.

That ace would be closer Doug Brown, in whom Cole has utmost confidence despite his 10.92 ERA in four appearances. Cole said that Brown could pitch in as many as three games this weekend, if he can be held to one-inning appearances with low pitch counts. But getting him the ball has not been easy.

Despite their pitching difficulties, the Quakers have still been able to win with their offense. Big Five Player of the Week Tim May scored 3 runs and went 2-for-5 against Temple, and lowered his batting average, to .515. Seven starters are hitting above .300.

This weekend, however, Penn will face a team anchored by its strong pitching. Although the back end of the Hoyas' rotation is weak - fifth starter Tim Adleman gave up eight earned runs in three innings in a 17-9 loss to George Washington yesterday - their top three pitchers have combined for an ERA of just over three.

May is not concerned.

"Any pitcher, we can find a weakness with what they do," May said.

Cole concurred.

"We're going to see some pretty good arms this weekend, but I don't think its anything we haven't seen," he said. "I think we'll try to get on base and get our running game going."

The coach indicated that the teams' running games would be key. Not only will the Quakers try to use their speed, but they are well aware of their opponent's athleticism; Georgetown has stolen 39 bases in 49 attempts.

"Well, you try to keep them off base in the first place," Thornton said, when asked how to stop the run. "We've been working guys on the pickoff move, and when they run, giving your catcher something they can handle, giving them the best chance to help you out."

There are plenty of things the Red and Blue will need to do right, but their coach anticipates a good weekend.

"I'm looking forward to it," Cole said. "I just hope we don't get snowed in.