Every year, my magnificent home state of Iowa has a spectacular state fair. Hordes of people flock to our state capital in order to get a taste of the Heartland.

That taste comes in all different forms. Pork chops, apple pie, corn on the cob and anything fried and/or on a stick are just a few of the delectable treats found at the Iowa State Fair.

However, the most notable food item at the fair is not even available for consumption: It's the famous butter cow. I've seen the life-sized sculpture myself and it is truly a work of art. We Iowans love our butter and, although Philadelphia may not be erecting a shrine of sorts, last week the city council unanimously passed legislation that may increase our intake of this delicious dairy product.

Philadelphia, a mere month after passing its new smoking ban, is taking yet another step to increase the health of its residents ... with more butter.

Yes, it's true. Presuming Mayor Street signs the bill as expected, a ban on trans fats (which includes many butter substitutes) will apply to all eateries in Philadelphia starting Sept. 1.

According to the FDA Web site, "Trans fat is made when manufacturers add hydrogen to vegetable oil - a process called hydrogenation. Hydrogenation increases the shelf life and flavor stability of foods containing these fats."

Trans fat can be found in shortening, margarine and foods made with or fried in partially hydrogenated oils. Unfortunately, these products also increase the amount of LDL or "bad cholesterol" in a person's bloodstream.

High LDL levels are a major contributor to cardiovascular disease, which, according to the Department of Health and Human Services, claims 910,000 American lives each year.

And if Philadelphia aspires to drop further down the list of "Fattest Cities" in America, banning trans fats is a wise decision. In the Men's Fitness magazine survey, Philadelphia dropped this year from second to 23rd place.

Philadelphia's new bill requires that all restaurants be trans-fat free. Each serving of food must contain no more than half a gram of trans fat.

This is undoubtedly a step forward in the quest for healthier living. But in a city known for its sandwiches of shredded steak coated in a thick layer of Cheez Whiz, success isn't necessarily guaranteed.

As far as taste goes, food connoisseurs need not take up arms to defend their beloved fried chicken and French fries. Eateries will simply have to replace their partially hydrogenated oils with healthier (and more expensive) ones such as peanut or Canola and substitute margarine with butter.

I can attest from firsthand experience that these more natural products may even improve taste.

Before you get angry, cheesesteaks lovers, relax - Pat's and Gino's confirmed that their cheesesteaks will remain unchanged. Both restaurants, like many others in Philadelphia, have been trans-fat free for some time.

The size of the bill's impact on the health of Philadelphians is uncertain. After all, it won't make that large order of cheese fries at Greek Lady good for you. The famous Philly cheesesteak will never be healthy. And just because that entire pizza you ate last night was made without trans fat, it doesn't excuse you from a trip to Pottruck.

However, this show of commitment to promoting public health is commendable, regardless of whether the effect is massive or miniscule.

Philadelphia, along with New York, which passed a trans-fat bill in December, is setting an example for cities and states across the nation, many of which are already considering similar legislation.

Our political leaders are declaring that it's finally time to take control of our health. In addition to decreased quality of life, an unhealthy electorate leads to staggering costs in health care and lost productivity because of death and disability. What makes this worse is that many of these deaths can be prevented through healthier living and, more specifically, healthier eating.

Of course, each of us is in charge of our own nutritional choices. But the overarching effect of healthier requirements for restaurants can do nothing but improve the health of Philadelphia and hopefully the health of other cities in the near future.

As we all flock back to this fair city next fall it's not likely we'll be greeted by any butter bovines. However, we will find healthier eating which, surprisingly, does include a lot more butter.

Emily Garrett is a College sophomore from Waukon, Iowa. Her e-mail address is garrett@dailypennsylvanian.com . Carpe Di-Em appears on Tuesdays.