The gifts for Barbaro just keep on coming.

The Penn School of Veterinary Medicine announced yesterday that Barbaro's owners, Roy and Gretchen Jackson, donated a $3 million gift to Penn Vet to fund research on laminitis and other equine diseases.

The money will supplement gifts from the Fund to Fight Laminitis that have been donated to sponsor this future research.

"Absolutely the most amazing tribute we could pay to Barbaro is to focus on laminitis and make some real progress," said Penn Vet Dean Joan Hendricks.

The gift will also endow a new faculty position in honor of Dean Richardson, the chief of surgery at Penn Vet who spent the last eight months providing intensive medical care for Barbaro.

The primary role of the position will be to head a program focusing on equine diseases, specifically laminitis - the hoof disease that eventually led doctors to euthanize the Kentucky Derby winner two weeks ago.

It will likely be filled by a scientist outside of the University, Hendricks said.

"We actually need to bring in somebody new," she added. "We want the best possible scientist we can get to focus on this disease."

"It's a phenomenal gift because it'll have a lasting effect on our attempt to fight laminitis," Corinne Sweeney, hospital director at the New Bolton Center said.

Hendricks likewise expressed hope that future research at Penn Vet would eventually lead to a feasible cure for laminitis by exploring the realms of stem cells and molecular biology.

Richardson expressed gratitude for the honor, saying in a press release that "the Jacksons' remarkable philanthropy will translate into better outcomes for injured and ill horses in the future."